Is it more beneficial to pursue a graduate degree abroad or in the US?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between obtaining a MS degree outside of the US and the impact it may have on job opportunities and applying for PhD programs. It is suggested that it may be more beneficial to go directly into a PhD program for certain fields, such as physics. The conversation also touches on the structure and length of education in different countries, with the UK typically having a shorter path to a PhD compared to the US. It is also mentioned that a Masters degree may not be necessary for certain professions in Europe. There is also discussion about the viability of staying in the US or going to Europe for graduate school, depending on future job prospects.
Fluxy
Hi, I'm wondering whether it's harder to find a job or get accepted to a PhD program after obtaining a MS degree outside of states.
Does the employer or adcom treat people who obtained a degree outside of states as an international applicant regardless of citizenship?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want physics, it is better to go directly into a PhD program, than getting masters and then applying for the PhD program.

Meir Achuz said:
If you want physics, it is better to go directly into a PhD program, than getting masters and then applying for the PhD program.

Is it okay to get a Masters degree overseas?
Will it be a disadvantage when it comes to applying for grad school or jobs?

I think that in other countries, you have to get a Masters before you can apply for a PhD, anyways. I think the thing is that the Masters and PhD programs are both shorter as compared to the States where you can apply directly for a PhD, but that takes about as long as both the Masters and PhD programs in other countries combined.

I'm definitely not 100% sure about that, though. I remember reading something like that somewhere... If I remember what it was, I will post.

Dr.Mobius said:
I think that in other countries, you have to get a Masters before you can apply for a PhD, anyways. I think the thing is that the Masters and PhD programs are both shorter as compared to the States where you can apply directly for a PhD, but that takes about as long as both the Masters and PhD programs in other countries combined.

I'm definitely not 100% sure about that, though. I remember reading something like that somewhere... If I remember what it was, I will post.

The usual European model is (there is some variation between countries, but the following is the most common):
Bachelor: 3 years
Masters (not optional): 2 years
PhD: 3 years
While the American model is:
Bachelor: 4 years
PhD: 4-5 years

So it works out to about the same. From what I hear you are not disadvantaged in American graduate school admissions by having a 3-year bachelor + 2-year masters (I did this, and felt I was evaluated fairly). If you are an international student it is really the only viable way to prepare yourself for grad school, so it doesn't raise any questions.

However if you did a 4-year bachelor (US) + 2-year master (international), then it would raise some questions about why you bothered with the masters given that the standard path is to apply for PhD spot after the bachelor. I have never been part of evaluating applications so I can't say how heavily stuff like this matters, but from speaking to people who have I know that they at least would like an answer to why you took the non-standard path.

A related question that one may ask is: if I leave my PhD program in the US with a master's degree to go pursue a PhD in Europe (for whatever reason, like maybe I think the research in my subfield is better there and I want to live in another culture for a bit), what difficulties will I encounter when looking to return to the US and find a job?

Masters degrees are not optional? Like having a bachelors in engineering in Europe would not be enough preparation for an engineering firm to hire a prospective employee?

I am studying engineering in the USA and have thought about going the nonstandard route of doing graduate work in Europe or South Africa. My reason is that I like to travel and take the road less traveled, so this is an interesting thread to me personally.

Last edited:
Another question (sorry, everyone): if one were eventually seeking employment in Europe, would it be better to go to Grad School in Europe as well, or would it be just as viable to stay in America? I'm thinking from an experimental research standpoint.

In the uk a separate masters course is pretty much a waste of time. Normally it's BSc (3years) or MSc/MMath (4years) then PhD (3 to 4 years) and the world is your oyster. If you want to drag it out as you have nothing better to do you can stick a 1 year masters in between...

So someone with a bachelors in the USA is equivalent to a masters in the UK?

Maylis said:
So someone with a bachelors in the USA is equivalent to a masters in the UK?

No. A masters in the USA is equivalent to a masters in Europe.

According to post #9, it takes 4 years to get a masters degree in the UK. It would take 4 years for a bachelors in USA. Do you mean that they just get more done in the UK than the US with the time they have?

Maylis said:
According to post #9, it takes 4 years to get a masters degree in the UK. It would take 4 years for a bachelors in USA. Do you mean that they just get more done in the UK than the US with the time they have?

Yes. The reason is that in the US you have to take many Gen Eds. So you have to take classes on psychology, writing and whatever you choose. This is mandatory. This is not mandatory in Europe.

So if you count 1 full year for all the Gen Eds, then you spend about 5 years for a masters in the USA. This is exactly the time you also spend for a masters in Europe (whether a masters is 1 or 2 years depends on the specific university).

Maylis said:
Masters degrees are not optional? Like having a bachelors in engineering in Europe would not be enough preparation for an engineering firm to hire a prospective employee?

I am studying engineering in the USA and have thought about going the nonstandard route of doing graduate work in Europe or South Africa. My reason is that I like to travel and take the road less traveled, so this is an interesting thread to me personally.

If this is in response to my post, then please let me clear up that what I meant was that it is not optional if you want to obtain a PhD subsequently. There is nothing stopping you from just getting a Bachelor degree if you don't intend to pursue a PhD.

I have no experience with engineering, so I have no idea how engineering firms view a Bachelor in Engineering as compared to a Masters in Engineering.

My apologies for my ignorance of the subject if university in Europe. My impression was that doing 3 years in the UK was the same as 3 years in the USA, so I thought it quite strange that I could just do three years of coursework and I would be ready to go into the workforce, thought I might be missing some coursework that one would normally take in the US during the last year.

The difference between me and the OP is that the op is saying to do a masters in Europe then return to the USA for a phd. But I am thinking of doing all graduate work in Europe or South Africa or both.

Is there any sense in doing a bachelors in the US then coming for a masters and phd in Europe? I had previously thought the first year of masters in Europe is the same as the last year of bachelors in the USA so I would be retaking the same classes again if I came to Europe. It seems that is not the case.

1. What is "International Grad school?"

"International Grad school" refers to graduate-level education programs offered by universities and institutions in countries outside of one's home country. These programs typically have a global focus and may offer opportunities for students to study abroad or conduct research in different countries.

2. How is "International Grad school" different from traditional graduate programs?

One key difference is the opportunity for international students to study and collaborate with peers from diverse backgrounds and cultures. Additionally, "International Grad school" often offers a more global perspective and may have a stronger emphasis on international research and partnerships.

3. Can I pursue "International Grad school" with any undergraduate degree?

Most "International Grad school" programs do not have specific undergraduate degree requirements. However, some may have prerequisites or preferred backgrounds in certain fields. It's important to research the requirements of individual programs to determine if your undergraduate degree is a good fit.

4. Are there any language requirements for "International Grad school"?

Some "International Grad school" programs may require proficiency in a second language, especially if the program is in a non-English speaking country. However, many programs offer courses and resources to help students improve their language skills, so it's not always a requirement.

5. What are the benefits of attending "International Grad school"?

Attending "International Grad school" can provide a unique and enriching experience for students. It offers the opportunity to gain a global perspective, develop cross-cultural communication skills, and build an international network. It may also enhance career opportunities and provide valuable research or internship opportunities in different countries.