Interpolation of data on Excel for analysis of Load Displacement

In summary, the person wants help with a program to interpolate data in Excel. They need help with the programming interface. They are looking for a program that will do a least squares regression on the data set and give them a function for y(x).
leon313
I don't need any help for the engineering maths I'll be doing after but if I anyone could advise me on how to write a program that would take a set of x and y values and then give me back the y values at certain intervals on the x-axis I would be very grateful. I've got colossal amounts of data that needs sorting before I can use it.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
leon313 said:
I don't need any help for the engineering maths I'll be doing after but if I anyone could advise me on how to write a program that would take a set of x and y values and then give me back the y values at certain intervals on the x-axis I would be very grateful. I've got colossal amounts of data that needs sorting before I can use it.

Thanks!

Welcome to the PF. I'm not sure I understand your question. What format is the data in? Is it already in Excel in two columns? Or is it in a clear text file in CSV or some other format?

And you want the output of your program to be what? An Excel spreadsheet with an interpolated y data column next to some pre-set x data (regular interval) column?

leon313 said:

Thanks!

If you have the math worked out then most of the work will be in making the program interface. Is that what you need help with? If so, it sounds more like a programming issue. If so, then what language are you familiar with?

CS

Just do a least squares regression on the data set, and get a function for y(x). Then plug in values of x to the function you get and there's your interpolated outputs!

What I have is a few different sets of data, all with two columns in. My problem is that to take an average of all the different data sets, I need x values at set intervals, whereas at the minute I may have a y value at x = 0.9 and another at x = 1.1 and need the value at 1.0. This isn't a problem obviously to interpolate by hand but the values are to a few decimal places and to do the whole lot by hand would take quite a while. I'm pretty clueless with how to use Excel VBA to help me with it. So the output needs to be An Excel spreadsheet with an interpolated y data column next to some pre-set x data (regular interval) column as berkeman suggested.

Thanks again.

If you are using Windows XP, the link below has an Excel add-in called XNUMBERS that contains built in interpolation functions.

http://digilander.libero.it/foxes/SoftwareDownload.htm

Look for the item at the top of the list called "XNUMBERS 5.6 - Multi Precision Floating Point Computing and Numerical Methods for EXCEL"

There is also an excellent tutorial:

http://digilander.libero.it/foxes/Documents.htm

Look for the item called “Numeric calculus in Excel” Xnumbers Tutorial vol.1,Oct. 2007 by Foxes Team.

Related to Interpolation of data on Excel for analysis of Load Displacement

1. What is interpolation of data on Excel?

Interpolation of data on Excel is the process of estimating unknown values within a set of known data points. It involves using a mathematical formula to calculate the missing values based on the known data points.

2. Why is interpolation important for analyzing load displacement data?

Interpolation is important for analyzing load displacement data because it allows us to fill in missing data points and create a smooth curve for better visualization and analysis. It also helps to reduce errors and increase the accuracy of calculations.

3. How do I perform interpolation of data on Excel?

To perform interpolation of data on Excel, you can use the built-in functions such as LINEST, TREND, or FORECAST, depending on the type of data and the desired level of accuracy. These functions can be found in the "Formulas" tab under "Function Library". You can also use the "Insert" tab to insert a graph or chart to visualize the interpolated data.

4. What are some common challenges when interpolating data on Excel?

Some common challenges when interpolating data on Excel include dealing with missing or incorrect data points, choosing the appropriate interpolation method, and ensuring the accuracy of the calculations. It is also important to carefully analyze the results and consider the limitations of interpolation in certain situations.

5. Are there any limitations to interpolation of data on Excel?

Yes, there are some limitations to interpolation of data on Excel. Interpolation assumes that the data follows a certain pattern, which may not always be the case. It also cannot account for outliers or extreme values, and may not be accurate for predicting values beyond the range of the known data points. Additionally, interpolation does not take into account any external factors that may affect the data.