1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interpret this geometrically, as a statement about parallelograms.

1. Oct 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that

|x+y|2 + |x-y|2 = 2|x|2 + 2|y|2

if x and y are elements of ℝk

2. Relevant equations

Ordinary stuff

3. The attempt at a solution

Got the first part, but I don't understand the parallelogram thing yet. The little sketch I drew didn't help.

screen-capture-1-34.png

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2
    In a parallelogram the sum of squares of sides equals the sum of squares of its diagonals

4. Oct 11, 2011 #3
    since [itex]\left|X+Y\right|[/itex] and [itex]\left|X-Y\right|[/itex] are diagonals of the parallelogram with [itex]\left|X\right|[/itex]and [itex]\left|Y\right|[/itex] as the sides , it states the property
    "In a parallelogram The sum of squares of diagonals equals the sum of squares of the sides"

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  5. Oct 12, 2011 #4
    Drew the picture again. Now I understand it. Indeed: On a parallelogram, the sum of squares of diagonals equals the sum of squares of the sides

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook