1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersection coordinates are my points right?

1. Apr 5, 2005 #1
    Hi can someone plz check that my points of intersection are correct?

The question was determine the coordinate of the intersection point of

[tex] \frac {(x-3)^2} {9} + \frac {y+2)^2} {4} =1 [/tex] and [tex] y=2x-3 [/tex]

I after putting the second equation into the first and then expanding and solving for x and y I got my two intersection points to be

(1.33,-0.34) and (0.169,-2.66) These values work well when plugged into the equation both coordinates equal 36 from the first equation when denominators are eliminated.

I wanted to check this with the graphing calculator but was having a hard time putting the first equation into y= form. Can someone help me out a little plz :rolleyes:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

With what?If you got those points (which was what the problem asked),then you're done with it.

Can't your software plot implicit equations?My Maple can.

Daniel.

4. Apr 5, 2005 #3
    you did it right no need to graph it'd be a waste of time. If you really wanted to you can graph this in a calculator(i'm assuming you have TIsomething), you need to put one of the equations in two pieces one positive square root and the other negative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?