1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersection of a sphere and a cone. (projection onto the xy-plane)

1. Dec 2, 2011 #1
    Part of a chapter review problem.

Say you have a sphere centered at the origin and of radius 'a'.

And you have a (ice-cream) cone which has it's point at the origin and phi equal to ∏/3.

How do I find the equation of their intersection? Which is the projection onto the xy plane.

Basically, I have to find the volume of the cone given the radius of the sphere (curvature of ice-cream) and phi = ∏/3... My answer needs to be in polar form, so I need to find the region of the projection, which has the same equation as their intersection, where z=0....

Now I'm confusing myself... Any help would be nice.

Cheers.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Set the z value on the cone equal to the z value of the sphere. (Actually, the z2 values are easier). That will give you the xy equation of the projection onto the xy plane.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook