Finding the Intersection of Two Planes using Vector Equations

In summary, the person is trying to solve a homework problem that they do not understand, and they are grateful for help.
PeterSK

Homework Statement

Two planes [itex]r_1[/itex] and [itex]r_2[/itex] have the equations:

[itex]r_1 = ( 1 - \lambda ) \underline{i} + ( 2 \lambda + \mu ) \underline{j} + ( \mu - 1 ) \underline{k}[/itex]

[itex]r_2 = ( s - t ) \underline{i} + ( 2s - 3 ) \underline{j} + ( t ) \underline{k}[/itex]

If a point lies in both [itex]r_1[/itex] and [itex]r_2[/itex] then [itex]\mu =4 \lambda + 3[/itex] (shown in a previous question)

Hence find a vector equation of the line of intersection of the two planes.

Homework Equations

None known

The Attempt at a Solution

I know what I have to do but I have no idea how to do it:
  • Find the normals of the planes
  • Use the cross (vector) product on them to get the direction of the intersection vector
  • find a point on the vector (I assume using the [itex]\mu = 4 \lambda + 3[/itex] stuff)
  • substitute the two parts into the formula for a vector equation to get the answer
However, I have no idea how to find the normals of those planes and I can also see finding the point to be awkward too with all those mu's, lambda's, s's and t's.
I'm just completely stumped!

Physics news on Phys.org
Put the planes in the form Ax +By +C=0, eliminating the parameters in so doing, and the normals will be (A,B,C)

The only way I know of making that form is by doing the dot product of the plane and its normal which doesn't help as the normal is what I'm trying to find :confused:

If you have determined that [itex]\mu= 4\lambda + 3[/itex], that's all you need!

Replace [itex]\mu[/itex] by [itex]4\lambda + 3[/itex] it the equation for the first plane:
[itex]\vec{r_1}= (1- \lambda)\vec{i})+ (2\lambda + (4\lambda +3))\vec{j}+ ((4\lambda+ 3)- 1)\vec{k}[/itex]
[itex]\vec{r_1}= (1-\lambda)\vec{i}+ (6\lambda+ 3)\vec{j}+ k+ (4\lambda+ 2)\vec{k}[/itex]
That is the vector equation of the line satisfying [itex]\mu= 4\lambda+ 3[/itex]j- which you say is true for any point on the line of intersection.

Thanks a lot, that helped loads!

Sorry, but is that just the direction vector of the line of intersection?
If so, then do I need to make it into the form [itex]r = \underline{a} + \lambda \underline{c}[/itex] ?

No, that is not the direction vector, it is the position vector.

Great, thanks a lot.

FAQ: Finding the Intersection of Two Planes using Vector Equations

What is the definition of "intersection of two planes"?

The intersection of two planes is the line, or set of points, where the two planes intersect or cross each other. This line can be described as the common boundary between the two planes.

How do you determine if two planes intersect?

If two planes are not parallel, they will intersect at a single line. To determine if two planes intersect, you can solve a system of equations using the equations of the planes. If the system has a unique solution, then the planes intersect. If the system has no solution, the planes are parallel and do not intersect.

Can two planes intersect at more than one point?

No, two planes can only intersect at one point. This is because planes are infinite in size and cannot cross each other at more than one point. If two lines on the same plane intersect, they can create more than one point of intersection.

What is the significance of the angle between two intersecting planes?

The angle between two intersecting planes is important in determining the relationship between the planes. If the angle is 90 degrees, the planes are said to be perpendicular. If the angle is less than 90 degrees, the planes are said to be acute. If the angle is greater than 90 degrees, the planes are said to be obtuse.

How can the intersection of two planes be used in real world applications?

The intersection of two planes has many real world applications, including in architecture, engineering, and navigation. For example, architects use the intersection of two planes to create 3D models of buildings, engineers use it to determine the stability of structures, and navigators use it to plot flight paths.