1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro Thermodynamic question

1. Oct 10, 2005 #1
    Hi all , I have 2 questions, I dunno how to derive the equations, please help.
    Thank you.
    1)A reversible adiabatic expansion of 2.5 moles or He from a volume 9L at 300K to a final volume of 28L.
    Find work(W), heat(Q), internal energy(U) and enthalpy change(H) and final temperature. (He is a monatomic ideal gas)

2)A reversible isobaric expansion of an ideal gas from P1,V1,T1 to P1,V2,T2, assume Cv = 5/2nR
    Find W, change in internal energy, Heat and enthalpy.

I know for #1 heat = 0, therefore delta U = W = integral P*dV, but I don't know since we don't know pressure , I don't know how to continue.

For #2, it is constant pressure, therefore W= -P*delta V
    delta U = Q - (p*delta V)
    Q = delta U + (p*delta V) = enthalpy
    Am I right ? it looks so weird, I need some help thanks !

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. Adiabatic work done, [itex]W = \int PdV [/itex]. But [itex]PV^{\gamma} = const, ~C[/itex] gives :

[tex]W = C~\int \frac{dV}{V^{\gamma}} [/tex]

Integrate that out, find P using the Ideal Gas Law, use the value of [itex]\gamma[/itex] for an ideal monoatomic gas, and hence find the value of the adiabatic constant C. Plug in values of C, Vf and Vi to find the work done.

2. For an isobaric process, Q is easily found. Recall what Cp is ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?