Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro to electronics for a physics student

1. Jun 28, 2010 #1
    I just started work in the lab and I'm finding myself having to build lots of circuits. Only problem is I have never studied these before ever, and don't even know the basics really. Can anyone recommend a concise intro to electronics which covers all the things I should know but not the things that aren't fundamental (I can always read into those later)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Hmm, it's not concise, but The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill is a good intro book. It's a pretty easy read, and you can skip around to pick up the topics that you are using at work the most. If you're near a university or technical library, take a look at the book to see if it could fit your needs. They may have used copies available on Amaxon.com.

4. Jun 28, 2010 #3
    Yes that was recommended to me too, like you say it's not concise, I had a look at it and it goes too in depth. I just want something to bring me up to speed really quickly on the basics.

5. Jun 28, 2010 #4

berkeman

6. Jun 28, 2010 #5
    Consider books like Electronics demystified, or Electronics for dummies.

or All New Electronics Self-Teaching Guide:

https://www.amazon.com/Electronics-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277747957&sr=1-1

They lightly touch on a variety of subjects in electronics.

But other than that, the real stepping stone to EE is a calculus based "Circuit Analysis" like the one in Berkeman's link. I love that particular book, it's cheap, comprehensive, and has emphasis on spice.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Jun 28, 2010 #6
    Electronics Circuits Handbook : Design Testing Construction

By Michael Tooley

is what you need.

8. Jun 28, 2010 #7

berkeman

9. Jun 28, 2010 #8
    Thank you, Berkeman, for bringing my reference up to date.

Tooley has a particularly clear style for those who want to 'do or 'use' electronics as opposed to lots of mathematics or physics. He offers a practical man's appreciation and understanding.

10. Jun 30, 2010 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook