Intro to electronics for a physics student

In summary, Intro to electronics for a physics student is an introductory course that covers the fundamental principles and concepts of electronics, including circuit analysis, resistors, capacitors, and inductors. It also introduces students to the basics of electronic components, such as diodes and transistors, and their applications in circuits. The course provides a foundation for understanding more complex electronic systems and how they relate to the laws of physics. Overall, it aims to equip students with the skills and knowledge necessary to design and analyze electronic circuits and systems.
barnflakes
I just started work in the lab and I'm finding myself having to build lots of circuits. Only problem is I have never studied these before ever, and don't even know the basics really. Can anyone recommend a concise intro to electronics which covers all the things I should know but not the things that aren't fundamental (I can always read into those later)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
barnflakes said:
I just started work in the lab and I'm finding myself having to build lots of circuits. Only problem is I have never studied these before ever, and don't even know the basics really. Can anyone recommend a concise intro to electronics which covers all the things I should know but not the things that aren't fundamental (I can always read into those later)?

Hmm, it's not concise, but The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill is a good intro book. It's a pretty easy read, and you can skip around to pick up the topics that you are using at work the most. If you're near a university or technical library, take a look at the book to see if it could fit your needs. They may have used copies available on Amaxon.com.

Yes that was recommended to me too, like you say it's not concise, I had a look at it and it goes too in depth. I just want something to bring me up to speed really quickly on the basics.

Consider books like Electronics demystified, or Electronics for dummies.

or All New Electronics Self-Teaching Guide:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470289619/?tag=pfamazon01-20

They lightly touch on a variety of subjects in electronics.

But other than that, the real stepping stone to EE is a calculus based "Circuit Analysis" like the one in Berkeman's link. I love that particular book, it's cheap, comprehensive, and has emphasis on spice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Electronics Circuits Handbook : Design Testing Construction

By Michael Tooley

is what you need.

Thank you, Berkeman, for bringing my reference up to date.

Tooley has a particularly clear style for those who want to 'do or 'use' electronics as opposed to lots of mathematics or physics. He offers a practical man's appreciation and understanding.

1. What is electronics and how is it related to physics?

Electronics is the study and application of electrical circuits and devices. It is related to physics because it involves the principles of electricity and magnetism, which are fundamental concepts in physics.

2. What are the basic components of an electronic circuit?

The basic components of an electronic circuit include a power source, conductors (usually wires), resistors, capacitors, inductors, and semiconductors (such as transistors).

3. How does an electronic circuit work?

An electronic circuit works by controlling the flow of electric current through various components. The power source provides the energy for the circuit, while the other components regulate and manipulate the flow of current.

4. What are some common applications of electronics in physics?

Electronics is used in various fields of physics, such as optics, quantum mechanics, and particle physics. Some common applications include the use of electronic sensors in experiments, electronic devices for data collection and analysis, and electronic circuits in advanced research equipment.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when working with electronics?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when working with electronics to prevent electric shocks and other hazards. These may include wearing protective gear, avoiding contact with live circuits, and properly grounding the circuit. It is also important to handle electronic components with care to avoid damaging them or causing malfunctions.