Introducing parameters in integrals

In summary: The right hand side will have a product rule. You should end up with a bunch of different integrals, and you already know some of them, right?<DateTime>, sorry for the confusion. I meant to say "In summary, the conversation discusses using the integral ∫dx/1+x^2 = pi/2 as a guide to introduce a parameter and differentiate with respect to this parameter in order to evaluate the integral ∫dx/(x^2+a^2)^3 from 0 to infinity. The conversation also touches on the use of trigonometric substitutions to simplify integrals, specifically in this case, the substitution x=atan(θ). The conversation ends with a discussion on finding the derivative of the integral in order
thercias

Homework Statement

Using the integral ∫dx/1+x^2 = pi/2 from 0 to infinity as a guide, introduce a parameter and then differentiate with respect to this parameter to evaluate the integral
∫dx/(x^2+a^2)^3 from 0 to infinity

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

∫(1/1+x^2) = tan^-1(x)
introducing parameter x/a to replace x we get

∫(1/a)/(1+(x/a)^2) = tan^-1(x/a)

∫dx/(a^2+x^2) = 1/a*tan^-1(x/a)

d/da(1/(x^2+a^2)) = -2a/(x^2+a^2)^2

im kind of stuck here. i don't really understand how to do this question, if anyone can help me understand/ lead me to the correct path that would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
thercias said:

Homework Statement

Using the integral ∫dx/1+x^2 = pi/2 from 0 to infinity as a guide, introduce a parameter and then differentiate with respect to this parameter to evaluate the integral
∫dx/(x^2+a^2)^3 from 0 to infinity

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

∫(1/1+x^2) = tan^-1(x)
introducing parameter x/a to replace x we get

∫(1/a)/(1+(x/a)^2) = tan^-1(x/a)

∫dx/(a^2+x^2) = 1/a*tan^-1(x/a)

d/da(1/(x^2+a^2)) = -2a/(x^2+a^2)^2

im kind of stuck here. i don't really understand how to do this question, if anyone can help me understand/ lead me to the correct path that would be appreciated.

How about, let ##x = atan(θ)## then ##dx = asec^2(θ)dθ##.

Sorry but I'm not sure where you're getting that from. My teacher used the method above to solve for a similar problem, but I don't fully understand it.

thercias said:
Sorry but I'm not sure where you're getting that from. My teacher used the method above to solve for a similar problem, but I don't fully understand it.

It's called a trig substitution. It's designed to help you simplify the integral into something more manageable.

There are three trig substitutions you should probably learn, and they come from recognizing patterns in the integral.

The first paragraph of this article pretty much sums it all up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_substitution

Zondrina's suggestion will help solve it, but it's not really the way the question asks you to do it. Consider
[tex] \frac{d}{da} \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{dx}{(x^2+a^2)} [/tex]

Do you see how this will get you closer to the integral that you want to calculate?

Office_Shredder said:
Zondrina's suggestion will help solve it, but it's not really the way the question asks you to do it. Consider
[tex] \frac{d}{da} \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{dx}{(x^2+a^2)} [/tex]

Do you see how this will get you closer to the integral that you want to calculate?

That's as far as I understand it unfortunately. I remember from a previous question we somehow manipulated the derivative of that to get this
2a∫dx/(a^2+x^2)^2 = 1/a^2*tan^-1(x/a) +(1/a)*1/(1+(x^2/a^2))*(x/a^2)

This is the the part I'm mostly having trouble understanding.

I also tried Zondria's method and got to 1/a^5∫cos^4(θ)dθ and got stuck, but like you said I'm mostly interested on the other method of finding it right now (although I'll continue to try this one too to fully understand this).

Last edited:
When you say "this is the part I'm mostly having trouble understanding", what part are you having trouble understanding exactly? Why that was helpful, or why you can take the derivative like that in the first place?

I mean I know how to find the derivative of the integral, but after that I'm not sure what to do. The above is finding the integral of 2a/(a^2+x^2)^2 after finding the derivative of 1/(a^2+x^2). I don't know what the point is in finding the derivative though. That's what I'm confused on. In the original question I probably have to find the derivative twice, but after that I'm not sure what to do. I might be completely wrong about all this. Would be nice if someone pushed me in the right direction.

Once you took the derivative, the power of x2 + a2 went from 1 to 2 in the denominator. You wish it was three though... can you guess what you should do to increase the power once more?

i already know that. find the derivative again but after that what do i do?

so i have the second derivative = -2(x^2-3a^2)/(a^2+x^2)^3

now what

Whoops, forgot to mention that it might help to divide both sides by a before taking the next derivative.

man, never mind I give up. I just don't understand this and I'll leave it at that.

If you take this equation that you had
2a∫dx/(a^2+x^2)^2 = 1/a^2*tan^-1(x/a) +(1/a)*1/(1+(x^2/a^2))*(x/a^2)

and divide both sides by a before taking the derivative with respect to a, then the integral on the left hand side is a lot nicer.

1. What are parameters in integrals?

Parameters in integrals are variables that are used to represent a range of values in an integral. They are usually represented as letters, such as "a" or "b", and can be used to define the limits of integration or express the function being integrated.

2. Why are parameters used in integrals?

Parameters are used in integrals to make them more flexible and general. By introducing parameters, we can express the integral in terms of a range of values instead of a specific value, making it applicable to a wider range of functions and situations.

3. How do parameters affect the result of an integral?

The value of the parameter can affect the result of an integral by changing the limits of integration or the function being integrated. For example, if the parameter "a" represents the lower limit of integration, changing its value will change the range of values over which the integral is evaluated, thus affecting the result.

4. Can parameters be used in definite integrals?

Yes, parameters can be used in both definite and indefinite integrals. In definite integrals, the parameter can be used to represent the limits of integration, while in indefinite integrals, it can be used to represent the function being integrated.

5. Are parameters always necessary in integrals?

No, parameters are not always necessary in integrals. They are mainly used to make the integral more general and flexible. In some cases, a specific value or function may be known and there is no need for a parameter to represent a range of values.