Inverse Laplace- Partial Fractions with exponential

In summary, to find the inverse Laplace transform of [e^(-2s)] / (s^2+s-2), the denominator can be factored into (s+2)(s-1), and then partial fractions can be used to split up the denominator. The exponential component can be easily inverted back into the time domain as it corresponds to unit step functions. However, for more complex problems involving exponential components, it may be necessary to bring down the exponential function and create separate fractions for each component.
ns5032

Homework Statement

[e^(-2s)] / (s^2+s-2)
Find the inverse Laplace transform.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I can factor the denominator into (s+2)(s-1). Then I tried to use partial fractions to split up the denominator, but I don't know how to do that with an exponential on the top. Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
just write it as exp(whatever)*(1/whatever). Then do partial fractions to get exp(whatever)*(?/a + ?/b). You will see that the exponential will be easy to 'invert' back into the time domain as it corresponds to unit step functions (i believe).

Im stuck in the same boat, but trying to get the partial fraction for "(e^[-s] -e^[-2s])/[(s^2)(s+1)]"

I wasn't too sure what EngageEngage meant.

i am having the same problems! never knew there was any issue with partial fractions involving exponential components.

my question was to get partial fraction from 3e^-2s/(s(s+5)), so i brought down the exponential function to get 3 different fractions with 1/e^2s, 1/s and 1/(s+5).

But it still doesn't work out.

1. What is the purpose of using inverse Laplace transforms?

The purpose of using inverse Laplace transforms is to transform a function from the complex frequency domain into the time domain. This is useful in solving differential equations and analyzing systems in control engineering, signal processing, and other areas of science and engineering.

2. What are partial fractions with exponential?

Partial fractions with exponential are a method used to simplify rational functions with exponential terms in the denominator. This is done by breaking down the function into a sum of simpler fractions with exponential terms in the denominator.

3. How do you perform inverse Laplace transforms on functions with partial fractions and exponential terms?

To perform inverse Laplace transforms on functions with partial fractions and exponential terms, you first use partial fraction decomposition to simplify the function. Then, you use the table of Laplace transforms to find the inverse transform of each individual term.

4. What are some key properties of inverse Laplace transforms?

Some key properties of inverse Laplace transforms include linearity, time shifting, scaling, and convolution. These properties allow for the simplification and manipulation of functions in the time domain.

5. What are some common applications of inverse Laplace transforms with partial fractions and exponential terms?

Inverse Laplace transforms with partial fractions and exponential terms are commonly used in control engineering to analyze and design systems, in signal processing to filter and transform signals, and in solving differential equations in physics and engineering.