Inverse LaPlace Transform help

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the First Shifting Theorem to find f(t) for a given problem involving partial fractions. The solution involves expanding the expression and solving for the coefficients, which correspond to terms in the time domain that are either unshifted or shifted by a specific factor. The conversation also clarifies the process of breaking up factors in the denominator.
lpau001

Homework Statement

Use the First Shifting Theorem (translation on the s axis) to find f(t).

L-1[(2s-1)/(s2(s+1)3]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is going to take forever.. Can we assume that I am putting the L^-1 all over the place?

[(2s-1)/(s^2(s+1)^3)] = [(2(s+1)-3)/(s^2(s+1)^3)] */ on this step I don't know how to change the s^2 in the denominator to an (s+1)^2 form.. do I need too? /*

[(2[STRIKE](s+1)[/STRIKE])/(s^2(s+1)[STRIKE]3[/STRIKE]2)] - [3/(s^2(s+1)^3)]

Then using partial fractions */ This is where I get confused /*
(As+B)/(s^2) + C/(s+1) + (Ds+E)/(s+1)^2 = (2s-1)/(s^2(s+1)^3)

solving coefficients (after a lot of math)
A=5 B=-1 C=-3 D=-2 E=-6

Putting coefficients back into problem..
(5s-1)/s^2 + (-3)/(s+1) + (-2s-6)/(s+1)^2

Attempted solution..
[(5s)/(s^2) - (1)/(s^2)] + [-3/s|s+1] + [-2s/s^2|s+1] + [-4/s^2|s+1]

I get...
5 - t - 3e^-t - 2e^-t - 4te^-t

Which is wrong. I'm close, kinda, I believe I erred in my partial fractions set up, but any help would be so nice.. Thanks PF.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to expand it as

[tex]\frac{2s-1}{s^2(s+1)^3} = \frac{A}{s}+\frac{B}{s^2}+\frac{C}{s+1}+\frac{D}{(s+1)^2}+\frac{E}{(s+1)^3}[/tex]

Hopefully, you can see the pattern. You should find A=5, B=-1, C=-5, D=-4, and E=-3. The first two terms are unshifted, so you can just look them up in a table. The latter three terms are shifted by 1, so you can apply the theorem to figure out what they correspond to in the time domain.

I see now! Thank you very much, Vela! I think I see the pattern for the Partial Fractions set up.

If you have a factor in the denominator like.. x^3, you break it up into x, x^2, and x^3. Thank you for the help!

1. What is an Inverse LaPlace Transform?

An Inverse LaPlace Transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function in the LaPlace domain and transforms it back into the time domain. It is the inverse of the LaPlace Transform, which converts a function from the time domain into the LaPlace domain.

2. Why is the Inverse LaPlace Transform important?

The Inverse LaPlace Transform is important because it allows us to solve differential equations and understand the behavior of complex systems in the time domain. It is also essential in signal processing and control systems.

3. How do you perform an Inverse LaPlace Transform?

To perform an Inverse LaPlace Transform, you need to use a table of LaPlace Transform pairs or use algebraic manipulation and integration techniques. There are also software programs and calculators that can perform the Inverse LaPlace Transform for you.

4. What are some common applications of the Inverse LaPlace Transform?

The Inverse LaPlace Transform is used in various fields, including electrical engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is used to analyze circuits, control systems, and differential equations. It is also used in image processing, data analysis, and signal processing.

5. Are there any limitations to the Inverse LaPlace Transform?

Yes, there are limitations to the Inverse LaPlace Transform. It can only be applied to functions that have a LaPlace Transform, and it may not work for functions with singularities or discontinuities. It also requires knowledge of complex variable theory and can be challenging to perform for complex functions.