Strategies for Solving Inverse Laplace Transform Problems with Complex Roots

In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving complex roots and various approaches to solve it. One method involves dividing the equation, while another involves using partial fractions and solving for constants. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with a suggestion to factor the denominator and use a trig substitution.
sandy.bridge

Homework Statement

Hello all,
Having difficulty with this one question that involves complex roots. Here it is:
[tex]F(s)=\frac{s+3}{s^3+3s^2+6s+4}[/tex]
I tried two different ways to tackle it. First method I divided it right away:
[tex]F(s)=\frac{s+3}{s^3+3s^2+6s+4}\rightarrow{s^2+6-\frac{14}{s+3}}[/tex]
Is there some sort of approach to something like s^2? I have not taken a differential equations course, and this is in one of my classes for modelling circuits.
If I decide not to do it this way, I can break it up via partial fractions:
[tex]F(s)=\frac{s+3}{s^3+3s^2+6s+4}=\frac{s+3}{(s+1)(s+1-\sqrt{3}j)(s+1+\sqrt{3}j)}=\frac{A}{s+1}+\frac{B}{s+1-\sqrt{3}j}+\frac{C}{s+1+\sqrt{3}j}[/tex]
where j is a complex number.
Thus,
[tex]A(s^2+2s+4)+B(s+1)(s+1+\sqrt{3}j)+C(s+1)(s+1-\sqrt{3}j)=s+3[/tex]
[tex]As^2+Bs^2+Cs^2=A+B+C=0[/tex]
The part that I do not know how to do is from here.
Would it be:
[tex]2As+2Bs+2Cs+j\sqrt{3}Bs+j\sqrt{3}Cs=s[/tex]
or are the complex numbers treated separetely?

Or is there an easier way, altogether?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
got it. Solved via matrix for A, B, C

Generally, I try to avoid imaginary numbers if I can. Factors of j are just like mistakes waiting to happen. I'd instead expand it as
$$F(s) = \frac{s+3}{s^3+3s+6s+4} = \frac{A}{s+1}+\frac{Bs + C}{s^2+2s+4}$$which leads to
$$s+3 = A(s^2+2s+4) + (Bs+C)(s+1)$$

Edit: vela beat me to the punch!

Breaking the denominator into all linear factors seems like it might be the harder way to go. You can factor s3 + 3s2 + 6s + 4 into (s + 1)(s2 + 2s + 4).

When you use partial fractions, you'll be solving for constants A, B, and C so that
[tex]\frac{s + 3}{s^3 + 3s^2 + 6s + 4} = \frac{A}{s+1} + \frac{Bs + C}{s^2 + 2s + 4}[/tex]

That last denominator can be rewritten as s2 + 2s + 1 + 3 = (s + 1)2 + (√3)2, if need be, which lends itself to a trig substitution.

What is an Inverse Laplace Transform?

An Inverse Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function in the complex frequency domain and transforms it back into the time domain. It is the inverse of the Laplace Transform, which converts a function from the time domain to the complex frequency domain.

Why is the Inverse Laplace Transform important?

The Inverse Laplace Transform is important because it allows us to solve differential equations in the time domain by transforming them into algebraic equations in the complex frequency domain. This makes it easier to find solutions and analyze systems in engineering, physics, and other fields.

How do you perform an Inverse Laplace Transform?

To perform an Inverse Laplace Transform, you can either use a table of common Laplace transforms or use integral calculus to solve the inverse transform directly. There are also software programs and calculators that can perform Inverse Laplace Transforms for more complex functions.

What is the relationship between the Laplace Transform and the Inverse Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform and the Inverse Laplace Transform are inverse operations of each other. This means that the Inverse Laplace Transform "undoes" what the Laplace Transform does. Together, they form a mathematical tool that helps us solve complex problems in the time and frequency domains.

What are some real-world applications of the Inverse Laplace Transform?

The Inverse Laplace Transform has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It can be used to model and analyze systems such as electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and chemical reactions. It is also used in signal processing and control systems to understand the behavior of systems over time.