1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Laplace Transform

1. Jan 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello all,
    Having difficulty with this one question that involves complex roots. Here it is:
    [tex]F(s)=\frac{s+3}{s^3+3s^2+6s+4}[/tex]
    I tried two different ways to tackle it. First method I divided it right away:
    [tex]F(s)=\frac{s+3}{s^3+3s^2+6s+4}\rightarrow{s^2+6-\frac{14}{s+3}}[/tex]
    Is there some sort of approach to something like s^2? I have not taken a differential equations course, and this is in one of my classes for modelling circuits.
    If I decide not to do it this way, I can break it up via partial fractions:
    [tex]F(s)=\frac{s+3}{s^3+3s^2+6s+4}=\frac{s+3}{(s+1)(s+1-\sqrt{3}j)(s+1+\sqrt{3}j)}=\frac{A}{s+1}+\frac{B}{s+1-\sqrt{3}j}+\frac{C}{s+1+\sqrt{3}j}[/tex]
    where j is a complex number.
    Thus,
    [tex]A(s^2+2s+4)+B(s+1)(s+1+\sqrt{3}j)+C(s+1)(s+1-\sqrt{3}j)=s+3[/tex]
    [tex]As^2+Bs^2+Cs^2=A+B+C=0[/tex]
    The part that I do not know how to do is from here.
    Would it be:
    [tex]2As+2Bs+2Cs+j\sqrt{3}Bs+j\sqrt{3}Cs=s[/tex]
    or are the complex numbers treated separetely?

Or is there an easier way, altogether?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2012 #2
    got it. Solved via matrix for A, B, C

4. Jan 26, 2012 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Generally, I try to avoid imaginary numbers if I can. Factors of j are just like mistakes waiting to happen. I'd instead expand it as
    $$F(s) = \frac{s+3}{s^3+3s+6s+4} = \frac{A}{s+1}+\frac{Bs + C}{s^2+2s+4}$$which leads to
    $$s+3 = A(s^2+2s+4) + (Bs+C)(s+1)$$

5. Jan 26, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Edit: vela beat me to the punch!

Breaking the denominator into all linear factors seems like it might be the harder way to go. You can factor s3 + 3s2 + 6s + 4 into (s + 1)(s2 + 2s + 4).

When you use partial fractions, you'll be solving for constants A, B, and C so that
    [tex]\frac{s + 3}{s^3 + 3s^2 + 6s + 4} = \frac{A}{s+1} + \frac{Bs + C}{s^2 + 2s + 4}[/tex]

That last denominator can be rewritten as s2 + 2s + 1 + 3 = (s + 1)2 + (√3)2, if need be, which lends itself to a trig substitution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook