What is the Correct Method for Finding the Inverse of a Function?

In summary: In any case, you can't just arbitrarily put in symbols. For example, you can't write (6x - 2) log(6) = log(81) and then go "oh, the x on the left is really a y".Your friend's solution is the same as what you wrote, except you didn't include the divide by 6 part. Other than that, it's identical.
the_awesome

Homework Statement

It says to find the inverse of a function. I can figure out the answer of x by guessing, but its best to show a good way of working out :P also note that my calculator cannot do the log to a base part correctly.

All i want to know is if I've done it correctly. don't try to over complicate it for me :P I am pretty stupid and in grade 12 lol

Homework Equations

Find the inverse of:
66x-2 = 81

The Attempt at a Solution

66x-2 = 81
66y-2 = x + 81
6y-2 = log6(x+81)
6y = log6(x+81) + 2
y = log6(x+81) + 2 <<<<<<< this means all of this divided by 6
--------------------------

from recalling what someone said to me, they had a solution that was something like:

log6
--------------- +2
log81
_________________________________ <<<<< divide whole thing by 6

which is correct? is my attemp any good?

Physics news on Phys.org
the_awesome said:

Homework Statement

It says to find the inverse of a function. I can figure out the answer of x by guessing, but its best to show a good way of working out :P also note that my calculator cannot do the log to a base part correctly.

All i want to know is if I've done it correctly. don't try to over complicate it for me :P I am pretty stupid and in grade 12 lol

Homework Equations

Find the inverse of:
66x-2 = 81
Your problem, as stated, doesn't make any sense. You can't find the inverse of an equation. You can solve an equation, and in this case, you can solve for x in the equation.
the_awesome said:

The Attempt at a Solution

66x-2 = 81
66y-2 = x + 81
Where did the x on the right side come from? You can't just stick an x in somewhere. And x in the first equation miraculously turned into y. I understand why you did this, since you thought you were finding an inverse, and your teacher has burned into your mind the idea that you have to switch the x and y. In this context, and as already mentioned, your job isn't to find an inverse.

the_awesome said:
6y-2 = log6(x+81)
6y = log6(x+81) + 2
y = log6(x+81) + 2 <<<<<<< this means all of this divided by 6
--------------------------

from recalling what someone said to me, they had a solution that was something like:

log6
--------------- +2
log81
_________________________________ <<<<< divide whole thing by 6

which is correct? is my attemp any good?

Well, neither is correct, but I think you are misremembering what your friend told you.

First off, this problem has nothing to do with finding the inverse of anything, so put that thought out of your mind. I think that if you go back and look at how the problem is stated, it will say something like this:

Solve for x in the equation 66x-2 = 81.

If you take the log of both sides, you get this:
(6x - 2) log(6) = log(81)

Now, can you solve this equation for x?

Yep pretty much what Mark said. y is not a function of x, so you can't find the inverse.
from your equation, you can
solve for x so the left side equals the right side, which is 81 by taking ln() of both sides.
But you cannot find the inverse of that equation because its not a function

looks like your friend simply solved for x using base 10. your attempt is using base 6 (with the error of putting in a magical variable y). I'm making a leap by ignoring some mistakes.

Mark44 said:
If you take the log of both sides, you get this:
(6x - 2) log(6) = log(81)

Now, can you solve this equation for x?
actually, my friends solution was nearly spot on.

x = (log(81) divided by log(6) + 2) divide this whole thing by 6
x = 0.74

thanx for ur help :) but looking at what my friend said, it was pretty dam close. (too bad my memory sucks, haha)

That might be, but what he had and what you wrote are different, I think.

What is the inverse of a function?

The inverse of a function is a mathematical operation that reverses the output of a function. It essentially "undoes" the function, allowing you to find the input that produces a specific output.

How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, you must first switch the positions of the x and y variables in the original function. Then, solve for y to get the inverse function.

What is the importance of finding the inverse of a function?

The inverse of a function is important because it helps us solve equations and problems that involve finding the original input, given a specific output. It is also used in many real-life applications, such as in engineering and physics.

What is the notation used for the inverse of a function?

The notation used for the inverse of a function is f-1(x), where f is the original function.

Can every function have an inverse?

No, not every function has an inverse. Functions that are not one-to-one (where each input has a unique output) do not have an inverse. Additionally, some functions may have restricted domains, making it impossible to find an inverse for all possible inputs.