1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Polar Graph

1. Dec 8, 2005 #1
    I need to figure out what or if what I found is why it is.

I need the inverse of a polar equation graphed.
    When I say inverse I mean switching the variables and then placing it in proper form again.

I have the equation r=Cos(θ) which produces the following graph.

What I need is r=ArcCos(θ), when put in Mathematica it gives me this.

Between the left end of the line and the x and y axises multiple values of pheta exist but they are not ploted, I believe it is because they aren't real, but why? and can this be properly graphed?

Mathematicas gives me these errors:
    {ArcCos[θ] Cos[θ],ArcCos[θ] Sin[θ]} does not evaluate to a pair of real numbers at θ = 1.0453537892798384
    {ArcCos[θ] Cos[θ],ArcCos[θ] Sin[θ]} does not evaluate to a pair of real numbers at θ = 1.011390375748485
    {ArcCos[θ] Cos[θ],ArcCos[θ] Sin[θ]} does not evaluate to a pair of real numbers at θ = 1.0036610320397505

Any answers would be much appriciated
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

Mathematica is correct (as it usually is). The problem is that the domain of ArcCos is [-1,1] (since the range of Cos is [-1,1]). In other words, there is no real number whose Cos is greater than 1. You can therefore only plot your equation from -1 <= theta <= 1.

4. Dec 10, 2005 #3
    I didn't ask the right question sorry... I shouldn't have used cos... What I need to know is this...

If the graph of r=θ is a spiral, what would the inverse of a spiral look like?
  5. Dec 11, 2005 #4

Staff: Mentor

To find inverses you switch variables and solve. E.g. to find the inverse of y=x^2 you switch variables x=y^2 and solve for y to get y=x^(1/2). Same thing here, you switch variables θ=r and solve for r to get r=θ. So, in polar coordinates, the spiral r=θ is its own inverse, just like the line y=x is its own inverse.

6. Dec 12, 2005 #5
    You can use graphmatica ( <-feel lucky & google on ) for these quick-plot purposes
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?