Inversion of curl of A formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the curl of the vector potential and its inversion. The formula for the curl can be expressed as the sum of partial derivatives of the vector potential, and this can be inverted using another formula. The problem at hand is determining how to apply the inversion formula.
center o bass
Hello! I'm reading up on Hamiltonian mechanics and i stumbled on the fact that the curl of the vector potential can be expressed as

[tex]B_k = \sum_k \epsilon_{kij}\frac{\partial A_i}{\partial x_j}[/tex]

Now the text that I'm reading says that this formula can be inverted as

[tex] \sum_k \epsilon_{kij} B_k = \frac{\partial A_j}{\partial x_i} - \frac{\partial A_i}{\partial x_j}[/tex]

But I then wondered how this inversion would be accomplished?

I suspect the formula [tex]\sum_k \epsilon_{kij} \epsilon_{klm}= \delta_{il}\delta_{jm} - \delta_{im}\delta_{jl}[/tex] to be involved.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just substitute the third formula into the first and you get the second.
What is the problem here?

1. What is the "Inversion of curl of A formula"?

The "Inversion of curl of A formula" is a mathematical formula used in vector calculus to find the vector field A that has a given curl. It is also known as the Helmholtz decomposition theorem or the Helmholtz-Hodge theorem.

2. What is the significance of the "Inversion of curl of A formula"?

The "Inversion of curl of A formula" is significant because it allows scientists to decompose a vector field into two components: a solenoidal component (curl-free) and an irrotational component (divergence-free). This is useful in many areas of science, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

3. How is the "Inversion of curl of A formula" used in practical applications?

The "Inversion of curl of A formula" is used in practical applications such as electromagnetics, where it is used to calculate the magnetic vector potential from a given current distribution. It is also used in fluid mechanics to determine the velocity field of a fluid from its vorticity field.

4. What are the limitations of the "Inversion of curl of A formula"?

The "Inversion of curl of A formula" has limitations in cases where the given vector field A is not continuously differentiable or when the domain of the vector field is not simply connected. In such cases, the formula may not provide a unique solution or may not be valid at all.

5. Are there any real-world examples of the "Inversion of curl of A formula"?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of the "Inversion of curl of A formula" being used in various fields of science and engineering. For example, it is used in weather forecasting to analyze and predict wind patterns, in computer graphics to generate realistic fluid simulations, and in medical imaging to reconstruct 3D images from MRI data.