Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Investigating effects on epoxy adhesive

1. Nov 17, 2008 #1
    Hi, Im currently doing a scientific research regarding epoxy adhesive.

Basically, you shine UV light onto the adhesive, it hardens.

Im given certain parameters like, intensity of UV light and duration of exposure.

I am supposed to investigate effects of varying parameters on: adhesion, cohesive strength and other properties.

So far I did some research, the effects that I could investigate on are: Tensile at break(eg 8900 psi), Durameter hardness (eg D75), shrinkage percentage, % elongation at break and adhesive strength (eg 1000Pa).

I would like comments/suggestions on working on this project with these, or maybe add new parameters?

What I have in mind is plotting a graph of Intensity against adhesive strength under a fixed exposure time, while recording the tensile at break, durometer hardness etc.

Any improvements/suggestions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You might include temperature of the cure phase and the length of time and temperature of post cure phase.

Are you able to change the concentration of the cure agent?
  4. Nov 17, 2008 #3

Gold Member

How about humidity during cure, or maybe even the presence of liquids?
  5. Nov 24, 2008 #4
    Ok, basically im working in a lab that has limited equipment, several machines i found are the uv machine, which allows one to set the intensity, and duration (mins/hrs). There is also a durometer, (i havent actually seen it) but my mentor tells me it does a "Sweeping" action at a force, while plotting a graph. I intend to maybe put cured adhesive (a droplet) onto a substrate and measure at which point willl the cured resin actually "break". Now im currently working on the linear shrinkage, where I inject epoxy into a capillary tube and measure the length before the cure and after the cure. I think I will vary the duration of exposure to UV, and record plot a graph of %linear shrinkage over time of exposure.
    What do you guys think? (3 more weeks till the end of the project)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?