Investigating effects on epoxy adhesive

In summary, the researcher is investigating the effects of varying parameters on the properties of epoxy adhesive. They are looking to plot a graph of adhesive strength against intensity of UV light exposure, while measuring other properties such as tensile at break, durometer hardness, shrinkage percentage, % elongation at break, and adhesive strength.
unscientific
Hi, I am currently doing a scientific research regarding epoxy adhesive.

Basically, you shine UV light onto the adhesive, it hardens.

Im given certain parameters like, intensity of UV light and duration of exposure.

I am supposed to investigate effects of varying parameters on: adhesion, cohesive strength and other properties.

So far I did some research, the effects that I could investigate on are: Tensile at break(eg 8900 psi), Durameter hardness (eg D75), shrinkage percentage, % elongation at break and adhesive strength (eg 1000Pa).

I would like comments/suggestions on working on this project with these, or maybe add new parameters?

What I have in mind is plotting a graph of Intensity against adhesive strength under a fixed exposure time, while recording the tensile at break, durometer hardness etc.

Any improvements/suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You might include temperature of the cure phase and the length of time and temperature of post cure phase.

Are you able to change the concentration of the cure agent?

How about humidity during cure, or maybe even the presence of liquids?

Ok, basically I am working in a lab that has limited equipment, several machines i found are the uv machine, which allows one to set the intensity, and duration (mins/hrs). There is also a durometer, (i haven't actually seen it) but my mentor tells me it does a "Sweeping" action at a force, while plotting a graph. I intend to maybe put cured adhesive (a droplet) onto a substrate and measure at which point willl the cured resin actually "break". Now I am currently working on the linear shrinkage, where I inject epoxy into a capillary tube and measure the length before the cure and after the cure. I think I will vary the duration of exposure to UV, and record plot a graph of %linear shrinkage over time of exposure.
What do you guys think? (3 more weeks till the end of the project)

1. What is epoxy adhesive and how does it work?

Epoxy adhesive is a type of strong, durable adhesive commonly used in industrial and construction settings. It is made up of two components - a resin and a hardener - that must be mixed together in order to activate the adhesive. Once mixed, the epoxy cures and forms a strong bond between two surfaces.

2. How do you investigate the effects of epoxy adhesive?

To investigate the effects of epoxy adhesive, a controlled experiment can be conducted. This involves applying the adhesive to different surfaces and measuring the strength of the bond, as well as evaluating factors such as curing time and temperature. Other methods include conducting stress tests and analyzing the chemical composition of the adhesive.

3. What factors can affect the performance of epoxy adhesive?

Several factors can affect the performance of epoxy adhesive, including the surface preparation of the materials being bonded, the ratio of resin to hardener, the curing time and temperature, and the type of surfaces being bonded. Other factors, such as humidity and contaminants, can also impact the bond strength of epoxy adhesive.

4. How can the results of investigating epoxy adhesive be applied in real-world situations?

The results of investigating epoxy adhesive can be applied in various industries and applications. For example, in construction, the findings can be used to determine the best methods for bonding different materials, while in manufacturing, they can help improve the production process by optimizing curing time and temperature. Additionally, the results can also inform the development of new and improved epoxy adhesive products.

5. What are some safety precautions to take when working with epoxy adhesive?

When working with epoxy adhesive, it is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and eye protection, as it can be harmful if it comes into contact with the skin or eyes. Proper ventilation should also be ensured, as the fumes from the adhesive can be hazardous. It is also important to carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions and dispose of any unused adhesive properly.