Ion sensor for 1e20 ions/m3 density

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of ion sensors to measure densities ranging from 1e19 to 1e22 ions/m3, with a possible measurement method being the detection of plasma cutoff frequency using a network analyser. The concept of resonance is also mentioned, and its relation to ion gyroradius in a magnetic field is questioned. The use of Langmuir waves for frequency conversion to concentration is suggested, and the use of V2 and V3 Langmuir probes for sending and receiving is mentioned. The conversation also touches on the use of Langmuir tripole probes with four electrodes, with the fourth pole potentially functioning as a switchable electrode array.
Javier Lopez
What kind of ion sensor can I use in the range 1e19to 1e22 ions/m3?
(corresponds to 0.1 to 5 pascals if non ionized)
Does it exist any sensor based in the charge capacity?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can measure up to 4e19 densities by detecting plasma cutoff (resonance) frequency with network analyser; for higher densities i afraid you need conduction-based measurement setup - basically cold cathode ionization gauge, but biased well below breakdown to measure ions only

Likes Javier Lopez
thank you, I will look for that and write about here
Does the resonance is related to ion gyroradius in a magnetic field? How to avoid electron running in opposite direction?
There is any ion density probe based on space charge?

Last edited:
Javier Lopez said:
thank you, I will look for that and write about here
Does the resonance is related to ion gyroradius in a magnetic field? How to avoid electron running in opposite direction?
There is any ion density probe based on space charge?
No, resonance i mean is Langmuir waves (do not mistake with completely different Langmuir probe method)

Likes Javier Lopez
Very good! that works also with ions, not only electrons!.
I suppose this is the formula (where e & m are charge in coulombs and ion mass in Kg):
$$n_0=\frac{w^2*\epsilon_0*m}{e^2}$$
Do you use V2 to send and V3 langmuir probe to receive?

Last edited:
Javier Lopez said:
Very good! that works also with ions, not only electrons!.
I suppose this is the formula (where e & m are charge in coulombs and ion mass in Kg):
$$n_0=\frac{w^2*\epsilon_0*m}{e^2}$$
Do you use V2 to send and V3 langmuir probe to receive?
Yes, the equation above is for Langmuir wave frequency conversion to concentration.
Regarding second question, i do not completely understand but likely it related to triple Langmuir probe. It is a specialized setup and i did not use it before.

There are some Langmuir tripole probe with 4 electrodes, what is the function of the 4th pole?
200px-Multipin.jpg

Attachments

• 200px-Multipin.jpg
    200px-Multipin.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 565
Looks like scanning probe - a switchable electrode array. Roles of each electrode is user-defined.

1. What is an ion sensor and how does it work?

An ion sensor is a scientific instrument used to measure the concentration of ions in a given environment. It works by utilizing a variety of techniques, such as ion exchange, ion-selective electrodes, or mass spectrometry, to detect and quantify the presence of ions.

2. What is the significance of 1e20 ions/m3 density in ion sensor measurements?

The density of ions in a given environment is an important factor to consider when using an ion sensor. A concentration of 1e20 ions/m3 is equivalent to 1 ion per cubic meter, which is a relatively low concentration. This level of ion density may indicate a clean or low ionized environment.

3. Can an ion sensor measure the density of different types of ions?

Yes, an ion sensor can detect and measure the density of various types of ions, such as positive or negative ions, as well as specific types of ions, such as hydrogen ions or sodium ions. Different ion sensors may be designed to measure specific types of ions depending on their intended use.

4. How accurate is an ion sensor in measuring ion density?

The accuracy of an ion sensor depends on various factors, such as the type of sensor, the calibration method, and the environmental conditions. Generally, ion sensors can provide accurate measurements within a range of 1-5% error.

5. What are some common applications of ion sensors?

Ion sensors have a wide range of applications in various industries, including environmental monitoring, water treatment, pharmaceuticals, and semiconductor manufacturing. They are also commonly used in scientific research to study the behavior of ions in different environments.