New Ionic Bulb: Clean Air in 100 sq. ft. Area

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effectiveness and limitations of a new ionic bulb that claims to clean the air in a 100 square foot area. The speaker questions where the removed non-clean air components go and if the small amount of metallic mercury in CFLs poses a risk. They also mention using a larger, forced air electrostatic air filter and prefer using candles and oil lamps over CFLs.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think this thing might work. It looks like it has a small opening that probably has a high potential electrode as the source of negative ions. They claim it will clean the air in a 100 square foot area.

bulb_sm.jpg

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache...ks&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It probably will clean the air in a "100 square foot area" but only one molecule deep. Fluids occupy volume.

Where goes the removed non-clean air components, and how are they removed?

Is the 5 milligrams of metallic mercury in every CFL too much risk for the small return? Do we dispose of the CFL when its cleaning capacity is exhausted?

I operate a larger, 1 - 2 cubic foot, forced air electrostatic air filter with removable cleanable and replaceable pre- and post filtering media. I clean the pre-filter weekly, the electrostatic filter element monthly and the post-filter shows no 'consumption' yet.

I will use candles and oil lamps before CFLs. I'm already hoarding incandescents.

1. How does the New Ionic Bulb clean the air?

The New Ionic Bulb uses negative ions to attract and capture pollutants, such as dust, allergens, and bacteria, from the air. These pollutants are then trapped in the bulb's filter, leaving cleaner air in the surrounding area.

2. What is the coverage area for the New Ionic Bulb?

The New Ionic Bulb is effective in a 100 sq. ft. area, making it ideal for small rooms or spaces such as bedrooms, offices, or bathrooms.

3. Is the New Ionic Bulb safe to use?

Yes, the New Ionic Bulb is completely safe to use. It does not emit any harmful chemicals or ozone, unlike traditional air purifiers. It also has a low energy consumption, making it an environmentally friendly option.

4. How long does the filter last in the New Ionic Bulb?

The filter in the New Ionic Bulb can last up to 6 months, depending on usage and air quality. It is recommended to replace the filter every 6 months for optimal performance.

5. Can the New Ionic Bulb help with allergies?

Yes, the New Ionic Bulb can help reduce allergens in the air, making it easier for allergy sufferers to breathe. It can also help with pet dander, dust mites, and other common allergens found in the air.