Is absolute count of emission spectrum meaningful?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Yinxiao Li
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
I am using Renishaw confocal Raman microscope to do photoluminescence spectroscopy of some polymer inside microchannel. When I fix the laser power and exposure time, the absolute count of intensity will change from time to time even for the same sample. I was hoping the intensity should linearly reflect the concentration of polymer and why is that not the case?
(PS: I read some papers that they can use the relative intensity to tell the concentration of molecules in a solution with some other machines)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yinxiao Li said:
When I fix the laser power and exposure time, the absolute count of intensity will change from time to time even for the same sample.
How much? There are statistical fluctuations. If the difference is larger then something changes between your measurements (quite likely).
 
mfb said:
How much? There are statistical fluctuations. If the difference is larger then something changes between your measurements (quite likely).
It changes about 100%...I also used plain silicon and use f-stop to help focus on the surface. Still, the result is not consistent in terms of the absolute counts...For plain silicon, I don't think anything could change..