Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is an AVR still necessary if desktop PC is already connected to a UPS?

1. Apr 25, 2013 #1
    Is an AVR still necessary if the desktop PC is already connected to a UPS?

Many articles online including this link to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply#Common_power_problems

State that the UPS already has built in circuitry that is capable of protecting computers from power fluctuations and even the instruction manual of my UPS states that it is capable of protecting computers and other connected loads from power fluctuations. Since the UPS basically does the same thing as the AVR but with the added function of providing backup power from a battery, is it still necessary to have an AVR connected to the desktop PC if the PC is already connected to a UPS?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2013 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think your question is design specific. A UPS needn't necessarily by definition "basically do the same thing" and a poorly designed one, using a microcontroller chip might itself need AVR. Its like saying "all printers can print images" but forgetting the old "daisy wheel" printers which were basically digitally controlled electric typewriters.

But most off the shelf today from reputable manufactures should handle the voltage conditioning. Just be sure to read the fine print and do your homework (read user reviews online for specific models).

4. Apr 25, 2013 #3
    The brand of the UPS I use is Ablerex from Singapore. Their official website claims that their UPS models can provide power regulation using microprocessors. Is this brand really capable of doing this? After all, their company was a supplier for the World Cyber Games 2005 in Singapore so they would have to be very reputable manufacturers.

5. Apr 26, 2013 #4

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is more of a consumer products question than a physics forum one. Again search the web for user reviews and independent consumer reports.

6. May 3, 2013 #5
    I tried looking for consumer reports and user reviews on this particular brand and am having difficulty finding any, so I searched the Ablerex company website and found information by going to this link:

http://www.ablerex.com.sg/faqs.html [Broken]

Their website says that their UPS's have the ability to intercept power surges, and, as I again state, Ablerex was an official supplier for the World Cyber Games 2005 in Singapore so they would have to be a very reputable manufacturer to be able to do so. So their claim that their models can block power surges is most likely believable.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook