Is an AVR still necessary if desktop PC is already connected to a UPS?

• Thread starter Bararontok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Desktop pc
In summary, it is possible that a UPS with built-in circuitry can protect a desktop PC from power fluctuations, including voltage regulation. However, this may vary depending on the design and brand of the UPS. It is important to do research and read user reviews to ensure that the chosen UPS is reputable and capable of providing the necessary protection for the desktop PC.
Bararontok
Is an AVR still necessary if the desktop PC is already connected to a UPS?

Many articles online including this link to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply#Common_power_problems

State that the UPS already has built in circuitry that is capable of protecting computers from power fluctuations and even the instruction manual of my UPS states that it is capable of protecting computers and other connected loads from power fluctuations. Since the UPS basically does the same thing as the AVR but with the added function of providing backup power from a battery, is it still necessary to have an AVR connected to the desktop PC if the PC is already connected to a UPS?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I think your question is design specific. A UPS needn't necessarily by definition "basically do the same thing" and a poorly designed one, using a microcontroller chip might itself need AVR. Its like saying "all printers can print images" but forgetting the old "daisy wheel" printers which were basically digitally controlled electric typewriters.

But most off the shelf today from reputable manufactures should handle the voltage conditioning. Just be sure to read the fine print and do your homework (read user reviews online for specific models).

The brand of the UPS I use is Ablerex from Singapore. Their official website claims that their UPS models can provide power regulation using microprocessors. Is this brand really capable of doing this? After all, their company was a supplier for the World Cyber Games 2005 in Singapore so they would have to be very reputable manufacturers.

Bararontok said:
The brand of the UPS I use is Ablerex from Singapore. Their official website claims that their UPS models can provide power regulation using microprocessors. Is this brand really capable of doing this? After all, their company was a supplier for the World Cyber Games 2005 in Singapore so they would have to be very reputable manufacturers.

This is more of a consumer products question than a physics forum one. Again search the web for user reviews and independent consumer reports.

jambaugh said:
This is more of a consumer products question than a physics forum one. Again search the web for user reviews and independent consumer reports.

I tried looking for consumer reports and user reviews on this particular brand and am having difficulty finding any, so I searched the Ablerex company website and found information by going to this link:

http://www.ablerex.com.sg/faqs.html

Their website says that their UPS's have the ability to intercept power surges, and, as I again state, Ablerex was an official supplier for the World Cyber Games 2005 in Singapore so they would have to be a very reputable manufacturer to be able to do so. So their claim that their models can block power surges is most likely believable.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Is an AVR necessary if my desktop PC is already connected to a UPS?

It depends on the power stability in your area. If you experience frequent power fluctuations or outages, an AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator) can be beneficial even if your PC is connected to a UPS. The UPS will provide backup power in case of an outage, but an AVR can regulate the voltage to prevent damage to your PC during fluctuations.

2. Can a UPS replace the need for an AVR?

No, a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) and an AVR serve different purposes. A UPS provides backup power in case of an outage, while an AVR regulates the voltage to prevent damage to your PC during fluctuations. It is recommended to have both for optimal protection of your equipment.

3. How do I know if I need an AVR for my desktop PC?

If you experience frequent power fluctuations or outages, it is recommended to have an AVR for your desktop PC. You can also use a voltage meter to check the stability of your power supply. If the voltage is consistently fluctuating, an AVR can help regulate it and protect your equipment.

4. Do all UPS devices come with an AVR?

No, not all UPS devices come with an AVR. Some may have built-in voltage regulation, while others may not. It is important to check the specifications of the UPS before purchasing to ensure it has the features you need.

5. Can I use an AVR with other electronic devices?

Yes, an AVR can be used with other electronic devices that are sensitive to power fluctuations, such as televisions, gaming consoles, and audio equipment. It is important to check the wattage and voltage requirements of your devices to ensure compatibility with the AVR.