• Thread starter Remon
  • Start date
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Even Dirac had a wife...
And Newton had lots of young male assistants he enthused about, until he scared them off by either his Aspergian or closethomosexual behaviour towards them (I don't know which).
On the emotional side, Newton was a complete wacko.

More on the topic...
http://rsnr.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/62/3/289.full
Abstract

Newton grew up with a vulnerable and eccentric character besides having a low self-esteem, and he was someone who only uncommonly developed any close relationships. On review it is argued that his distrust and suspicions of others, and the fear that he might be harmed by criticism and his discoveries stolen, followed from his mother's separation from him in childhood and not, as has been claimed, from the developmental disorder of Asperger's syndrome. It is further firmly argued that his ‘madness’ of 1692 and 1693 was due to mercury poisoning from his alchemical experiments and not to clinical depression.

Yes, but many of the things he "explains" are just plain WRONG. The man is a joke these days. Check out the links in my previous post.

I did actually look at all of them but one of them wasn't even fair because, for some reason, the reporter was interviewing him about a volcano (I think it was), which is the job of a geologist not a theoretical physicist. Even if he was wrong about many of his ideas or "explanations", he still managed to open many people's minds (such as me, where I was completely ignorant about most of this stuff before watching his videos and searching them myself) and most likely motivated some of them to pursue a career in science which greatly benefits society, I'm still thinking of majoring or minoring in physics in university simply because I started to get interested in this matter from watching people like him, which is also why I kind of look up to him in a way (even though he might be wrong). I mean before watching him on youtube, I had no idea what the theory of relativity was or what string theory was, I had no idea that Newton pretty much invented calculus (only when he was 20something too), I had no idea what the large Hadron Collider was for or what the Higgs boson was (I still don't know lol), etc. Also, some of the points he made (such as evolution constantly taking place because we pick the "prettiest" mate which is a sign of them being healthy or the different types of civilization) actually make sense even though they might be wrong, its still a different and new perspective to look at things (although I don't really see how one can prove them wrong since most of them are just theories = non proven). I guess what I'm saying is that even though he might have been wrong, he did manage to spark my curiosity about theoretical physics and science overall as well as many others. It is the same effect that popular channels such as Vsauce and Minutephysics have made, which is actually something I really like because they are the ones who make a real difference in society by influencing more people to think reasonably, scientifically, etc.
p.s sorry for the book I just wrote lol

Last edited:
And Newton had lots of young male assistants he enthused about, until he scared them off by either his Aspergian or closethomosexual behaviour towards them (I don't know which).

The reason why many people think he was a complete "wacko" or developed a level of autism is because most of "normal" people have "normal" IQ and the "normal" brainpower as everyone else, but newton was not like this. He was different, therefore it only makes sense why he interacted differently with others, you can't blame him as a person. The same goes with most of the other "great minds". If someone is born different (whether for the good or for the bad), you can't expect them to interact with everyone else normally, since they are different.

Evo
Mentor
The reason why many people think he was a complete "wacko" or developed a level of autism is because most of "normal" people have "normal" IQ and the "normal" brainpower as everyone else, but newton was not like this. He was different, therefore it only makes sense why he interacted differently with others, you can't blame him as a person. The same goes with most of the other "great minds". If someone is born different (whether for the good or for the bad), you can't expect them to interact with everyone else normally, since they are different.
This is just your personal opinion.

This thread has turned into a rant, so is closed.