Is anyone else feeling the same?

• Thread starter Remon
  • Start date
In summary: Oh, right, invent calculus and propose the theory of universal gravitation. Or maybe you meant Einstein, who just casually came up with the theory of relativity. But yeah, nothing special. In summary, the conversation discusses the feeling of inadequacy and depression when comparing oneself to history's intellectual geniuses. The idea that these individuals were selected for a higher purpose and the belief that we are all special in our own way is also mentioned. However, it is suggested to focus on personal contributions and to find meaning in various fields rather than dismissing them as low purpose. It is also mentioned that taking inspiration from these geniuses can be a source of joy and self-confidence.
I agree that the OP's remark about being essentially worthless for not being a revolutionary physicist, and nothing else, is pretty weird to me. I majored in math, and while I never got a PhD or became a professional mathematician, I completely appreciate the value of math and science to the world. I also think that history is at least as important to know as math, and probably even more so.

Since there have been some (I'm assuming pretty good-natured) jabs at the "soft sciences", I also think that, contrary to what most scientists and mathematicians will tell you, history and a lot of the humanities are actually harder than the "hard sciences." There are no axioms to fall back on and no near-universal agreement on what's true and what isn't. You're much more on your own in something like history, although it helps to have some experience with making models and testing hypotheses to see which version of history makes the most sense. There's of course a higher BS:truth ratio in something like history, but that's to be expected; there's not much reason to lie about mathematical results, but there are certainly reasons to lie about history.

Even leaving behind academic matters, firefighters, EMTs, some random person handing out gloves and socks to the homeless, Big Brothers/Sisters (which may not be universal, but it's a mentoring organization), the people behind "It Gets Better", etc., are all serving a pretty high purpose if you ask me.

Physics news on Phys.org
FreeMitya said:
EDIT: I apologize in advance if I misinterpreted the post or overreacted. I have a long history of encounters with people who are unbearably arrogant about their fields, but I'm sorry if there's been a misunderstanding. Maybe I'm too insecure.

There was no misunderstanding. I was pointing out how you made liberal arts seem infinitely more important than it actually is. But don't get me wrong as I'm not saying that e.g. pure math is more important than the liberal arts. If anything, a lot of contemporary pure math is laughably useless in comparison.

WannabeNewton said:
There was no misunderstanding. I was pointing out how you made liberal arts seem infinitely more important than it actually is. But don't get me wrong as I'm not saying that e.g. pure math is more important than the liberal arts. If anything, a lot of contemporary pure math is laughably useless in comparison.

Define "liberal arts." I've always found the way people use this term to be vague, so I searched it on Encyclopaedia Britannica, and according to it the liberal arts include the humanities, mathematics, science, etc. But maybe we all make everything seem more important than it actually is. We're a passionate species.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/339020/liberal-arts

Most of the article is provided for free. It gets the job done, at any rate.

Enough pedantry!

I don't see how I made the humanities seem more important than they actually are, but we've been down this road before, and we seemed to reach an understanding. There is little point in starting this again.

Tobias Funke said:
Since there have been some (I'm assuming pretty good-natured) jabs at the "soft sciences", I also think that, contrary to what most scientists and mathematicians will tell you, history and a lot of the humanities are actually harder than the "hard sciences." There are no axioms to fall back on and no near-universal agreement on what's true and what isn't. You're much more on your own in something like history, although it helps to have some experience with making models and testing hypotheses to see which version of history makes the most sense. There's of course a higher BS:truth ratio in something like history, but that's to be expected; there's not much reason to lie about mathematical results, but there are certainly reasons to lie about history.

I think it comes down to what type of thinking one is most comfortable with. There are definitely many individuals who are more intellectually inclined to certain fields than others. I always liked this scene from Good Will Hunting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKu_QQVHJLA

It would be bold for a science superstar to say that, just because he is a science superstar, he can write a good piece of music or a beautiful poem, and the same goes for great artists regarding high quality scientific research. It's an easy and often-used idea, but that doesn't make it incorrect.

Remon said:
Recently, I've started to research and look up some of history's intellectual geniuses and watching documentaries about them (such as Einstein, Newton, Michio Kaku, etc. and all of their different theories and ideas) and after a few weeks, I started to find it depressing that I'm never going to reach that level of "genius" (and don't tell me that we're all "special" in some way because, excuse my language, we all know that that is BS). I realize that these are just very few people selected for a higher purpose out of the billions of people who ever lived since 10,000 B.C.E, but I still find it rather depressing, did anyone else ever feel something similar at some point of their life? Or am I just "too knowledgeable/self aware" for my own good (even though I'm not smart at all, I just didn't how to word it properly)?
p.s Sorry if I put this in the wrong section but 'general discussion' was the closest thing I could find

Well for one thing, I wouldn't compare Kaku with Einstein and Newton.

And secondly, you must remember that geniuses as you put it sacrificed other stuff. Look on Newton and Tesla's marital status.

FreeMitya said:
I personally think that the defeat of the Nazis was more important than that. ;)

In all seriousness, I know what you mean, and I agree.
And I agree with you in that it is rather meaningless, as OP seems to do, to set up a SINGLE standard of "what is important".
I certainly find both much pleasure and insight in truly great art, but see no need to compare that importance with, say, the importance I find in sitting by the riverside a beautiful evening, or in sharing an evening with good friends.

Remon said:
If you're talking about Michio Kaku, then you're wrong. The man is a genius and I watched many videos of him on youtube and read a bit about him, I also have much respect for Theoretical physicists (Kaku being one) and Astrophysicists because they don't just focus on the small things here on earth, they go beyond that.

Most people would know Newton and Einstein. Not many would know Kaku. What has he done?

BMW said:
Most people would know Newton and Einstein. Not many would know Kaku. What has he done?
As with Newton and Einstein, he has a really bad haircut.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Well for one thing, I wouldn't compare Kaku with Einstein and Newton.

And secondly, you must remember that geniuses as you put it sacrificed other stuff. Look on Newton and Tesla's marital status.

I was already aware that Newton was not a "social butterfly", and how he was a "hermit", which makes sense because the man is obviously much smarter than anyone else therefore he may have considered other people to be somewhat "inferior" or maybe because he was just different.
What I don't get is how Einstein not only married twice (second time being married to his cousin which is a little strange), but also got a family together lol
Also, it seems that a lot of people are saying that I shouldn't compare Kaku to the other geniuses, that main reason why I put his name on the list too was because he tries to relate to the average man (like me) by posting these videos on youtube and tries to explain many complicated theories/predictions very simply for us stupid people to understand lol
I also watched his 42 min. lecture on youtube (as well as a lot of other people by looking at the view count) which I found somewhat fascinating and that's the main reason why I really started to watch him more; I guess what I'm saying is that he's more relatable to us than say Einstein or Tesla (as well as other people too like Neil Degrasse Tyson or Bill Nye who was a small part of my childhood)

Last edited:
arildno said:
As with Newton and Einstein, he has a really bad haircut.

Newton didn't even bother with his hair... he just wore a wig like everyone else during that time, which makes him somewhat of a badass to me :)

Remon said:
I was already aware that Newton was not a "social butterfly", and how he was a "hermit", which makes sense because the man is obviously much smarter than anyone else therefore he may have considered other people to be somewhat "inferior" or maybe because he was just different.
What I don't get is how Einstein not only married twice (second time being married to his cousin which is a little strange), but also got a family together lol
Also, it seems that a lot of people are saying that I shouldn't compare Kaku to the other geniuses, that main reason why I put his name on the list too was because he tries to relate to the average man (like me) by posting these videos on youtube and tries to explain many complicated theories/predictions very simply for us stupid people to understand lol
I also watched his 42 min. lecture on youtube (as well as a lot of other people by looking at the view count) which I found somewhat fascinating and that's the main reason why I really started to watch him more; I guess what I'm saying is that he's more relatable to us than say Einstein or Tesla (as well as other people too like Neil Degrasse Tyson or Bill Nye who was a small part of my childhood)

Well you must remember that back then, for men like Einstein the wife was sort of a maid.

It's not like nowadays that the wife can have her own career.

Even Dirac had a wife...

Remon said:

Yes, but many of the things he "explains" are just plain WRONG. The man is a joke these days. Check out the links in my previous post.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Even Dirac had a wife...
And Newton had lots of young male assistants he enthused about, until he scared them off by either his Aspergian or closethomosexual behaviour towards them (I don't know which).
On the emotional side, Newton was a complete wacko.

arildno said:

More on the topic...
http://rsnr.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/62/3/289.full
Abstract

Newton grew up with a vulnerable and eccentric character besides having a low self-esteem, and he was someone who only uncommonly developed any close relationships. On review it is argued that his distrust and suspicions of others, and the fear that he might be harmed by criticism and his discoveries stolen, followed from his mother's separation from him in childhood and not, as has been claimed, from the developmental disorder of Asperger's syndrome. It is further firmly argued that his ‘madness’ of 1692 and 1693 was due to mercury poisoning from his alchemical experiments and not to clinical depression.

phinds said:
Yes, but many of the things he "explains" are just plain WRONG. The man is a joke these days. Check out the links in my previous post.

I did actually look at all of them but one of them wasn't even fair because, for some reason, the reporter was interviewing him about a volcano (I think it was), which is the job of a geologist not a theoretical physicist. Even if he was wrong about many of his ideas or "explanations", he still managed to open many people's minds (such as me, where I was completely ignorant about most of this stuff before watching his videos and searching them myself) and most likely motivated some of them to pursue a career in science which greatly benefits society, I'm still thinking of majoring or minoring in physics in university simply because I started to get interested in this matter from watching people like him, which is also why I kind of look up to him in a way (even though he might be wrong). I mean before watching him on youtube, I had no idea what the theory of relativity was or what string theory was, I had no idea that Newton pretty much invented calculus (only when he was 20something too), I had no idea what the large Hadron Collider was for or what the Higgs boson was (I still don't know lol), etc. Also, some of the points he made (such as evolution constantly taking place because we pick the "prettiest" mate which is a sign of them being healthy or the different types of civilization) actually make sense even though they might be wrong, its still a different and new perspective to look at things (although I don't really see how one can prove them wrong since most of them are just theories = non proven). I guess what I'm saying is that even though he might have been wrong, he did manage to spark my curiosity about theoretical physics and science overall as well as many others. It is the same effect that popular channels such as Vsauce and Minutephysics have made, which is actually something I really like because they are the ones who make a real difference in society by influencing more people to think reasonably, scientifically, etc.
p.s sorry for the book I just wrote lol

Last edited:
arildno said:
And Newton had lots of young male assistants he enthused about, until he scared them off by either his Aspergian or closethomosexual behaviour towards them (I don't know which).

The reason why many people think he was a complete "wacko" or developed a level of autism is because most of "normal" people have "normal" IQ and the "normal" brainpower as everyone else, but Newton was not like this. He was different, therefore it only makes sense why he interacted differently with others, you can't blame him as a person. The same goes with most of the other "great minds". If someone is born different (whether for the good or for the bad), you can't expect them to interact with everyone else normally, since they are different.

Remon said:
The reason why many people think he was a complete "wacko" or developed a level of autism is because most of "normal" people have "normal" IQ and the "normal" brainpower as everyone else, but Newton was not like this. He was different, therefore it only makes sense why he interacted differently with others, you can't blame him as a person. The same goes with most of the other "great minds". If someone is born different (whether for the good or for the bad), you can't expect them to interact with everyone else normally, since they are different.
This is just your personal opinion.

This thread has turned into a rant, so is closed.