Is arguing with a moderator a valid reason to ban users?

They get banned.In summary, the conversation discussed whether it is valid to ban users for arguing with moderators and the circumstances surrounding a user's ban for insulting others and refusing to comply with the forum's rules. The moderators strive for a civilized way of dispute and give warnings before banning users.
struggling_student2
Is arguing with a moderator a valid reason to ban users? My old account has just been banned. I called another user stupid because he started ridiculing me. For that I received a warning. Fair enough, 4 points, that's adequate. I pointed at a double standard and argued that the moderator wasnt objective. Just because the other user was another moderator doesn't mean he shouldn't be held to the same standards.

For that I was banned. Are moderators on this forum fascists and I'm not allowed to disagree with them? No appeal process. A Summary ban.

Is this account about to be deleted as well? What is my crime?

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
Physics news on Phys.org
Having no idea what you are referencing makes it difficult to comment. Your gratuitous use of the term fascist probably indicates why you have had difficulty...

Likes vela, berkeman, Vanadium 50 and 2 others
I didn't call him a facist. But removing people for having a different opinion justifies the use of this word.

struggling_student2 said:
I didn't call him a facist. But removing people for having a different opinion justifies the use of this word.
I rest my case

Voice your opinion if you have an opinion whether people should be banned for discussing with moderators. Otherwise why did you reply at all?

Voice your opinion if you have an opinion whether people should be banned for discussing with moderators. Otherwise why did you reply at all?
My initial reaction is, no, its not appropriate to ban a user for differing views, even in moderator mode.

EDIT: becomes a new Speakers' Ruling :)

It is really frustrating when I have written 10 posts and another user 60000 and that makes him think that he can deride me for asking a question on a forum.

I called another user stupid because he started ridiculing me. For that I received a warning. Fair enough, 4 points, that's adequate.
And you chose to continue arguing at that point I surmise.
Perhaps further whinging was not useful to anyone involved?

Likes Vanadium 50, russ_watters and BillTre
Noone was involved but the moderator, we exchanged messages. And It was an ARGUMENT.

The moderator admitted that the other user's post was insulting and edited it. But mine was deleted altogether and I received a warning. I accepted it but I pointed out that we both should receive a warning or neither of us. Such situation is called a double standard.

Also, moderators and mentors should be held to higher standards or at least the same. Now lower.

In all honesty, sure, why not? They're the moderators, not you.

Internet forums don't need to be "just". You choose to participate here, they choose to ban you. Go find a different community if you have issues with it.

Obviously, we would like this to NOT be the case, and there be guidelines to follow (which there are), but I have no problem with moderators of a community acting how they want. I leave it up to the site owner to dictate those issues!

Likes BillTre
I accepted it but I pointed out that we both should receive a warning or neither of us.
I accepted it but
This is a non-sequitur. Sorry but this is just silly.

Likes BillTre
Now I'm curious as to which moderator you had an argument with.

Thread locked. The OP was a sockpuppet of a banned member with a similar name.

Explanation:

The user has been banned because he insulted others
You are a loser who lives inside an internet forum and you have no life and no brains.
and insisted that he had been insulted, too, as justification which hasn't been the case. He was given a warning for the insult above. The ban was only because he didn't stop arguing about the warning.

So it wasn't the argument that brought him the ban. It was the fact that he didn't want to comply with our rules.

We try to maintain a civilized way of disputing. This is especially necessary if we are of different opinions. We are all humans and everybody can have a bad day. That is why we warn before we ban. It is sometimes necessary to step back and have a break to calm down. Some won't.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970, Hamiltonian, Astronuc and 2 others

1. What is the purpose of having moderators on a platform?

Moderators are responsible for maintaining the rules and guidelines of a platform and ensuring that all users follow them. They also help to create a safe and respectful environment for all users.

2. Is it acceptable to argue with a moderator about their decision?

While it is understandable for users to have differing opinions and perspectives, arguing with a moderator about their decision is not a productive or respectful way to handle a disagreement. Moderators have the authority to enforce the rules and their decisions should be respected.

3. Can arguing with a moderator lead to a ban?

Arguing with a moderator can potentially lead to a ban, depending on the severity of the argument and the platform's policies. It is important for users to communicate respectfully with moderators and to follow the platform's guidelines.

4. How can users express their concerns or disagreements with moderators without arguing?

Users can express their concerns or disagreements with moderators by sending a private message or email, rather than publicly arguing. This allows for a more respectful and productive discussion to take place.

5. What should users do if they feel they have been unfairly banned due to arguing with a moderator?

If a user feels they have been unfairly banned due to arguing with a moderator, they can reach out to the platform's support team to appeal the ban. It is important for users to provide evidence and calmly explain their perspective in order to have a chance at having the ban lifted.