Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Is Bohmian mechanics wrong?

1. Mar 20, 2017 #1
    http://motls.blogspot.com/2014/05/measure-for-measure-debaters-love-to.html?m=1
    According to lubos, bohmian mechanics is certainly wrong because "its basic classical object – the guiding wave – is in principle unobservable because a change of it should in principle impact things at a distance but it never does". Apparently this is because it is non local. Is this the same for all non local interpretations? Are all non local interpretations wrong?

Here is the video he is talking about
    skip to 41:30 when Rudinger Shack is asked about bohmian mechanics

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2017 #2

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At this time, there is no fully convincing way to exclude Bohmian Mechanics. There are results that exclude certain classes of nonlocal interpretations, but Bohmian Mechanics is not a member of those classes.

4. Mar 20, 2017 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't need to ask Luboš, Bohmian Mechanics has its adversaries right here and a great defender, the Croatian physicist Hrvoje Nikolic. I would say there's not enough evidence to accept this theory as the right interpretation of Quantum Mechanics, nor refute it as the wrong one.

5. Mar 20, 2017 #4
    Hopefully he makes an appearance on this forum

6. Mar 20, 2017 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Paging @Demystifier ... :oldwink:

7. Mar 20, 2017 #6

ShayanJ

Gold Member

8. Mar 20, 2017 #7

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The heart of the critique by Lubos Motl is towards the end of the first half of his blog entry (currently about at a quarter of the total page content):

9. Mar 21, 2017 #8

Demystifier

Science Advisor

I have nothing new to say which I haven't already said a 1000 times. :headbang:
    I liked posts on this thread with which I agree.

10. Mar 21, 2017 #9

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Imho, the only good thing of Bohmian Mechanics (BM) is that it is superfluous. There's nothing observable different from minimally interpreted QT, and the extension of BM to relativistic QT (i.e., FAPP local microcausal relativistic QFTs underlying the Standard Model) at least problematic. I think, it's safe to simply ignore it ;-).

11. Mar 21, 2017 #10

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Not if I can lock the thread before the carnage gets out of hand.... Mouseclick.... Mouseclick.... Sigh of relief- the world is saved!

If the question is whether Bohmian mechanics is wrong, it's hard to improve on DrChinese's answer above. Whether you like Bohmian mechanics, or consider it likely to be right.... That's a different discussion, not one amenable to proof and resolution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook