Is (d^2/dx^2) a Hermitian Operator?

In summary, the second derivative of an operator is Hermitian if and only if the first term vanishes at infinity.
kcirick
Hi, I'm doing a Quantum mechanics and one of my question is to determine if [tex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2}[/tex] (a second derivative wrt to x) is a Hermitian Operator or not.

An operator is Hermitian if it satisfies the following:
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\Psi^{*}A\Psi = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(A\Psi\right)^{*}\Psi[/tex]
where [tex] \Psi^{*} [/tex] is a complex conjugate of the wavefunction psi and A is the operator.

I do the LHS of the equation with A= [tex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2}[/tex]. I get:
[tex]\left[\Psi^{*} \frac{d}{dx}\Psi - \frac{d}{dx}\Psi^{*}\Psi\right]_{-\infty}^{\infty} + \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(A\Psi\right)^{*}\Psi [/tex]
using integration by parts twice.

The second term obviously is the RHS, and in order for [tex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2}[/tex] to be Hermitian (and I'm pretty sure it is), the first term has to be equal to zero. Can anyone justify?

Thanks a bunch!
-Rick

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Psi has to vanish at infinity to be square integrable.

OK, Thanks to both of you.

I wish I bought the Griffiths textbook. Our prof's using "Quantum Mechanics" by B.H. Bransden & C.J. Joachain. I find it not too helpful and I've heard many good things about Griffiths' texbook.

Shortcut: A is a real multiple of P².

Here is an easier procedure for proving that the second derivative (wrt to x) is Hermitian. And I just discovered this!
1) Prove that the momentum operator is Hermitian. (it involves first derivative)
2) Prove that the operator aA (where a is some number and A is a hermitian operator) is Hermitian only when a is ... (I will not tell you what that condition is, it isn't that difficult to prove)
3) Relate the momentum squared operator to the second derivative operator and use the condition in step 2 to show that second derivative operator is Hermitian.

Edit: Hurky! already mentioned it, which I didn't see :)

Hello, I have a question about the definition of Hermtian operator.

Which one is correct?
This:
[itex]
\langle Ax|y\rangle\ =\ \langle x|Ay\rangle
[/itex]
or this:
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\Psi^{*}A\Psi = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(A\Psi\right)^{*}\Psi
[/tex]

Everytime I see the definition of Hermitian I see the first one (where they use x and y, different to each other). But when someone wants to prove if an operator is Hermitian (just like they did in this post) they use the second one (where they use only one Psi, not two different functions).

Thanks

Patorogo said:
Hello, I have a question about the definition of Hermtian operator.

Which one is correct?
This:
[itex]
\langle Ax|y\rangle\ =\ \langle x|Ay\rangle
[/itex]
or this:
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\Psi^{*}A\Psi = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(A\Psi\right)^{*}\Psi
[/tex]

Everytime I see the definition of Hermitian I see the first one (where they use x and y, different to each other). But when someone wants to prove if an operator is Hermitian (just like they did in this post) they use the second one (where they use only one Psi, not two different functions).

Thanks
For operators on the "usual" Hilbert space of wavefunctions, L2(R), those are exactly the same thing.

The first one applies to any Hilbert space, though.

mhm I still don't get why they use different functions on the first definition but the same function on the second one.

Thanks

Patorogo said:
mhm I still don't get why they use different functions on the first definition but the same function on the second one.

Thanks
Oh! I didn't notice that your second expression was [itex]\langle A \Psi \mid \Psi \rangle = \langle \Psi \mid A \Psi\rangle[/itex]; I thought you just wrote [itex]\langle A \Psi \mid \Phi \rangle = \langle \Psi \mid A \Phi \rangle[/itex] in integral form.

There's a neat trick for converting between quadratic and bilinear forms:
[tex](A(x+y), x+y) = (Ax, x) + (Ay, y) + (Ax, y) + (Ay, x)[/tex]

[tex](x+y, A(x+y)) = (x, Ax) + (y, Ay) + (x, Ay) + (y, Ax)[/tex]​

Equating the two gives
[tex](Ay, x) + (Ax, y) = (x, Ay) + (y, Ax)[/tex]​

And then we apply tricks for splitting complexes apart. Substituting x -> ix:
[tex]i (Ay, x) - i (Ax, y) = -i (x, Ay) + i (y, Ax)[/tex]

[tex](Ay, x) - (Ax, y) = -(x, Ay) + (y, Ax)[/tex]​

and adding to the original:
[tex]2(Ay, x) = 2(y, Ax)[/tex]​

Assuming I haven't made any mistakes.

Note that we are dealing with complex inner products is essential. The identity
<x,Ax> = <Ax,x>​
holds for all operators on any finite-dimensional real inner product space. (Maybe for infinite-dimensional too?)

Now I get it. Thank you very much for your help.

1. What is a Hermitian operator?

A Hermitian operator is a mathematical term that refers to a linear operator that is equal to its own adjoint. In simpler terms, this means that the operator is symmetric and has real eigenvalues.

2. How is the Hermitian property related to the operator (d^2/dx^2)?

The Hermitian property is related to the operator (d^2/dx^2) as it is a condition that must be satisfied in order for the operator to be considered Hermitian. In this case, the operator (d^2/dx^2) must be equal to its adjoint, which is the operator (-d^2/dx^2).

3. Why is it important for an operator to be Hermitian?

It is important for an operator to be Hermitian because it has certain properties that make it useful in mathematical and physical applications. For example, Hermitian operators have real eigenvalues, which make them useful in calculating physical quantities such as energy levels in quantum mechanics.

4. How do you determine if an operator is Hermitian?

To determine if an operator is Hermitian, you need to check if it satisfies the Hermitian property. This means that the operator must be equal to its adjoint, which is the complex conjugate of the operator. In mathematical notation, this can be represented as A = A*, where A is the operator and A* is its adjoint.

5. What are some examples of Hermitian operators?

Some examples of Hermitian operators include the momentum operator (p), the position operator (x), and the Hamiltonian operator (H). These operators are commonly used in quantum mechanics and have real eigenvalues, satisfying the Hermitian property.