Is dirac's "The principles of Quantum mech." a good book?

In summary, the person is looking for a QM book that uses mathematics at an academic level but is easy to understand and builds intuition. They have heard that Dirac's book is great but want other opinions. The other person suggests checking out Prof Susskind's book QM The Theoretical Minimum, which is not a standard textbook but has received positive reviews for its treatment. It is better for beginners and assumes knowledge of calculus and differential equations. The person also recommends Susskind's book on classical mechanics and mentions his accompanying online lectures. They do not recommend Dirac's book for beginners.
Joker93
I have not read any other QM books,i have little knowledge on that subject and want a books that uses mathematics in academic levels but is easy to get the grips on and also builds intuition and explains the phenomenons in a good manner.I do not want a book that emphasizes on mathematics or intuition alone but something that has it all.I have heard that Dirac's book is a great book but i wanted to know your opinions.Feel free to suggest other books(bear in mind that i have got Griffiths book on QM from the university library).

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
I have a copy and from the reviews many people like the treatment. It's not a standard textbook and has more wordy description than math. However. The math is real not watered down to something trivial like popular science might be.

jedishrfu said:
I have a copy and from the reviews many people like the treatment. It's not a standard textbook and has more wordy description than math. However. The math is real not watered down to something trivial like popular science might be.
so,it might be better if i read this first so as to build up intuition and then going for the harder textbooks which have more complex math,right?

Yes, it assumes you can do calculus and differential equations to some extent. The focus of the book was for people long out of school who wish to understand science in a deeper and truer sense.

Susskind has a similar book on classical mechanics that is quite good too and you may want to check it out too.

Likes Joker93
I advise to first study the Schrödinger equation.

I read Dirac and Susskind . Susskind is good for beginners ( I am am still a amatuer) he does everything you should know to get started with QM, that is harmonic oscilators, quantum logic, SE and so on that are all derived so that anyone with a bit of knowledge of calculus can derive. It mostly doesn't get harder than the easyest of differential equations. I didnt much like Dirac and I don't think he is recommendable for beginers of QM.
But Susskind is a good idea.

Plus he also has online lectures parrallel to the topics in his books ( I can't say if they are good, because I couldn't be botherd to watch them), the link is in his book but they can also be found at stanford university website.

1. What is the level of difficulty for understanding "The Principles of Quantum Mech." by Dirac?

The level of difficulty for understanding Dirac's "The Principles of Quantum Mech." may vary depending on the reader's background knowledge and experience with quantum mechanics. However, it is generally considered to be a more advanced and technical book that may require some prior knowledge of mathematics and physics.

2. Is "The Principles of Quantum Mech." suitable for beginners in quantum mechanics?

No, "The Principles of Quantum Mech." is not recommended for beginners in quantum mechanics. It is a more advanced book that assumes some prior knowledge and understanding of the subject.

3. What are the main topics covered in "The Principles of Quantum Mech."?

The main topics covered in "The Principles of Quantum Mech." include the principles and foundations of quantum mechanics, the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics, and applications of quantum mechanics to various physical systems.

4. How does "The Principles of Quantum Mech." compare to other books on quantum mechanics?

"The Principles of Quantum Mech." is considered to be a classic and highly influential book in the field of quantum mechanics. It is known for its concise and elegant presentation of the subject matter, but may not be as approachable for beginners compared to other books.

5. Is "The Principles of Quantum Mech." still relevant and useful for current research in quantum mechanics?

Yes, "The Principles of Quantum Mech." is still relevant and useful for current research in quantum mechanics. Many of the concepts and principles discussed in the book are still applicable and foundational to the field. However, it is important to also consult with more recent publications and advancements in the field for a comprehensive understanding.