Is G isomorphic to the Galois group of a polynomial in Q?

• Thread starter futurebird
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Short
In summary, the conversation is discussing the Inverse Galois Problem, which asks if for every finite group, is there at least one polynomial in Q that has that group as its Galois group. The answer is not completely known and can be researched online.
futurebird
Given a finite group G is G isomorphic to the Galois group of some polynomial in Q? Having done a course on Galois theory I think I just missed this and I feel like I ought to know the answer. Did I just sleep through that part of class?

:/

Physics news on Phys.org
futurebird said:
Given a finite group G is G isomorphic to the Galois group of some polynomial in Q? Having done a course on Galois theory I think I just missed this and I feel like I ought to know the answer. Did I just sleep through that part of class?

:/
That's not a question. Given that a finite group G is isomorphic to the Galois group of some polynomial, what? What conclusion are you to make?

I think what the question is asking is the following. If you are given some finite group, is it isomorphic to the Galois group of some polynomial in Q?

I'm asking if for every finite group is there at least one polynomial in Q that has that group as its Galois group.

That is we did a lot of "give a polynomial find the Galois group." can you do always the reverse?

maybe this is obvious or something...

Dunkle said:
I think what the question is asking is the following. If you are given some finite group, is it isomorphic to the Galois group of some polynomial in Q?

Yes. This is just the question.

That's the Inverse Galois Problem. You can search online for info. I don't think the answer is completely known.

Thanks! It looks pretty cool.

Related to Is G isomorphic to the Galois group of a polynomial in Q?

1. What is a short yes/no question?

A short yes/no question is a type of question that can be answered with a simple "yes" or "no" answer. It typically starts with a verb and does not require a detailed response.

2. What is the purpose of asking a short yes/no question?

The purpose of asking a short yes/no question is to quickly gather information and get a direct answer. It is often used in conversations or surveys to get a quick response without needing a lengthy explanation.

3. How do you form a short yes/no question?

To form a short yes/no question, start with a verb and add a subject after it. The sentence structure is typically verb + subject + question mark. For example, "Do you like pizza?"

4. Can a short yes/no question have more than one correct answer?

No, a short yes/no question is designed to have only two possible answers - "yes" or "no". It is not meant to be open-ended or have multiple correct responses.

5. What are some examples of short yes/no questions?

Some examples of short yes/no questions are: "Are you feeling hungry?", "Do you want to go for a walk?", "Have you finished your homework?", and "Is it raining outside?"