Is Hawking's statement of Raychaudhuri's equation wrong?

In summary: I don't have Hawking and Ellis, so I can't say for sure. However, I believe that the Raychaudhuri equation is a special case of the Newman-Penrose equation.
jinawee
In Hawkin's lectures: http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9409195v1, he states that the Raychaudhuri equation
[tex] \dot \rho=\rho^2+\sigma^{ab}\sigma_{ab}+\frac 1 n R_{ab}l^a l^b [/tex] with n=2 for null geodesics and n=3 for timelike geodesics.

But in most places I've seen [tex] \dot \theta=-\frac 1 n \theta^2-\sigma^{ab}\sigma_{ab}-\ R_{ab}l^a l^b [/tex] It doesn't seem they are equivalent because there is a switched sign and the n factor. Is this an errata?

Likes bcrowell
Physics news on Phys.org
What page of the lectures is this on? What is the definition of ##\rho##? If you have access to Hawking and Ellis, can you see how it compares on this topic?

Seems unlikely that Hawking would simply goof on this. This is the kind of thing that he made his career out of.

It's on page 8 but he doesn't define ρ. I'll use the other equation, which is the one used in Hawking & Ellis, Carroll, etc.

jinawee said:
It's on page 8 but he doesn't define ρ. I'll use the other equation, which is the one used in Hawking & Ellis, Carroll, etc.

He does, right below the box.

martinbn said:

I meant a rigorous definition to compare it with Hawking & Ellis.

martinbn said:

But it's only a verbal definition, not a mathematical one. It's not clear to me whether there is some difference between the quantity ##\rho## he's defining and the expansion scalar ##\theta##, possibly by a factor of ##n##. If there is some difference, it would explain why he notates it ##\rho## rather than ##\theta##.

Note that he says:

One can see this from the Raychaudhuri or Newman-Penrose equation, which I will write in a unified form.

So we shouldn't expect it to be identical to the Raychaudhuri equation, we should expect the Raychaudhuri equation to be a special case of it. It may be that ##\rho## is a generalization of ##\theta##.

Re the sign, note that the affine parameter ##v## is arbitrary, and if we replace it with ##-v## it's still a valid affine parameter. I guess the equation is supposed to be form-invariant under a change of affine parameter, but it's not manifestly so.

Ok, I see what you meant by no definition. He says that it is the average convergence. For him that may be as clear as any of the other terms, for example the shear. So just the name is enough. Since it is convergence and not expansion that would explain the sign difference. The average must be where the factor n comes from, but it seems that there should be a factor in front of the shear. Anyway, google shows various versions of the equation under all combinations of the names Raychaudhuri, Newman, Penrose.

Likes bcrowell

1. What is Hawking's statement of Raychaudhuri's equation?

Hawking's statement of Raychaudhuri's equation is a mathematical equation that describes the evolution of space-time curvature in the context of general relativity. It is an important tool in understanding the behavior of particles and fields in curved space-time.

2. Why is there controversy surrounding Hawking's statement of Raychaudhuri's equation?

There is controversy surrounding Hawking's statement of Raychaudhuri's equation because some scientists argue that it contains errors and is not a valid representation of the original equation proposed by Raychaudhuri. This has led to debates and discussions among physicists.

3. What are the potential implications if Hawking's statement of Raychaudhuri's equation is wrong?

If Hawking's statement of Raychaudhuri's equation is wrong, it could have significant implications for our understanding of space-time and the behavior of particles and fields within it. It could also have an impact on other theories and equations that rely on this equation.

4. Is there evidence to support or refute Hawking's statement of Raychaudhuri's equation?

There is evidence both for and against Hawking's statement of Raychaudhuri's equation. Some scientists have found errors and inconsistencies in the equation, while others have defended its validity. Further research and analysis is needed to come to a definitive conclusion.

5. How does this controversy impact the field of physics?

This controversy has sparked debates and discussions within the field of physics, leading to a better understanding of the equation and its implications. It also highlights the importance of rigorous testing and validation of scientific theories and equations. Ultimately, it encourages further research and exploration into the fundamental principles of space-time and gravity.