1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it a good idea to Study Master in Physics in Australia/Canada/New Zealand

1. Nov 23, 2012 #1
    Hello,
    I am Indian, final year undergrad. I wish to study & pursue research in Physics and as part of my academic curricula, I plan to pursue Master in Physics and PhD further.
    I am looking ahead to continue my master in following countries: Germany, Canada, Australia/New Zealand.
    Looking at the investment in above countries except Germany, the tution fees are high and so are the returns. As they say the job prospects in Canada, AU, NZ are high with salary being paid around $40k/annum.
    So my question lies, from an investment and returns point of view, which country would be better to pursue the masters? I would also like to opt for USA for my PhD.
    To be little clear and wise:
    1) I wish to earn and save some money for my PhD and repay the Loan debt.
    2) Research is my point of interest.
    How should I look ahead?
    Are the countries enlisted good for studying Physics?
    Thank You. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2012 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Hi Wokay,

It's difficult to assess a country as a whole - particularly those you have listed, with respect to whether they would be good locations for studying physics. Usually, when you're looking at graduate level work, you should be looking at specific programs and professors rather than just a country as a whole.

I live in Canada for example. There are many great schools here (perhaps even most) at which pursuing a master's degree will give you a great education and provide a lot of opportunities for career or further academic development. There are also a few that have weaker programs or weaker professors who you may want to avoid working with. Further, you want to play to the strengths of a program. Some schools are known more for work in specific areas than others.

Usually in Canada, graduate students in physics are supported by a combination of stipends and research/teaching assistanceships. This isn't a lot, but it generally is enough to cover tuition and meger living expenses without further dropping into student debt. However, I know international students have to pay significantly higher tuition, so I can't say that it will necessarily balance out. You can contact a few specific programs and they'll be happy to give you the details.

4. Nov 23, 2012 #3
    Thank You Choppy,
    I would look ahead in selecting the courses and contacting the departments.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook