Polymer vs. Macromolecule: What's the Difference?

• Biology
  • Thread starter mcconnellalex01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polymer
In summary, a polymer is a large molecule made up of repeating units called monomers while a macromolecule is a large molecule made up of various smaller units. Both are formed through polymerization and examples include plastics, rubber, and DNA for polymers and proteins, nucleic acids, and carbohydrates for macromolecules. They also have similar properties such as high molecular weights and chemical structures, and are commonly used in everyday life for food packaging, clothing, medicine, technology, and biological processes such as cell structure and DNA replication.
mcconnellalex01
Homework Statement
I was asked which of these is NOT a polymer and I'm not sure how to answer it.
A.) Camp-Stove fuel
B.) Polyester
C.) DNA
D.) Starch
E.) Plastic
Relevant Equations
A polymer is a useful chemical made of many repeating units
A macromolecule is a chain of many different units
I am aware that there is a difference between a polymer and a macromolecule (due to types of bonds, structure, etc.) but all of these seem to be chains like polymers to me. I know that is incorrect because there is no option for all of the above.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe if you consider in more detail what each of the possible answers is made of.

Likes mcconnellalex01 and Bystander
Hi McC:

Here is a hint. The key word is "many".

Regards,
Buzz

Likes mcconnellalex01
Gotcha, thank you!

1. What is the difference between a polymer and a macromolecule?

A polymer is a large molecule made up of repeating units called monomers. A macromolecule, on the other hand, is a large molecule that can be made up of either repeating units or a single unit. In other words, all polymers are macromolecules, but not all macromolecules are polymers.

2. How are polymers and macromolecules formed?

Polymers and macromolecules are formed through a process called polymerization, in which smaller molecules (monomers) are linked together to form larger molecules. This process can occur through different mechanisms, such as condensation polymerization or addition polymerization.

3. What are the properties of polymers and macromolecules?

Polymers and macromolecules can have a wide range of properties, depending on their chemical composition and structure. Some common properties include high molecular weight, flexibility, and strength. They can also be either synthetic (man-made) or natural (found in living organisms).

4. What are some examples of polymers and macromolecules?

Some examples of polymers include plastics, rubber, and DNA. Macromolecules can include proteins, nucleic acids, and carbohydrates. Both polymers and macromolecules are found in everyday objects, as well as in living organisms.

5. How are polymers and macromolecules used in everyday life?

Polymers and macromolecules have a wide range of applications in everyday life. They are used in the production of various materials, such as clothing, packaging, and construction materials. They also play important roles in biological processes, such as DNA replication and protein synthesis.