Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Is it nebulosity or an artefact?

1. Dec 18, 2017 #26

Tom.G

Science Advisor

Perhaps you could use an "Artificial Star", typically used for telescope collimation. It could also be adapted to get an idea of the camera sensor overload characteristics (blooming) by giving a spot source without the telescope. With a stable source and no atmospherics to get in the way, you could likely get a beam profile across the image using PS.

Using a Google search for - telescope star simulator - turned up this site with some explanations and links: http://www.hubbleoptics.com/artificial-stars.html

2. Dec 18, 2017 #27

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Hmm. Any reflection would involve the shape of the back end of the objective which is not flat and, moreover, it is expensively coated.

3. Dec 18, 2017 #28

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

It would need to be a pretty high powered little star, though as this effect only happens on a few stars. The other stars on my above images don't show it. The ones in the trapezium are such a jumble the the halo effect wouldn't be spotted, I think. I will soon be able to try and see if I get the effect on a Zwo bottom of the range guide camera I have ordered. Cmos may be different again.

4. Dec 18, 2017 #29

Tom.G

Science Advisor

Think LASER pointer at whatever distance is appropriate, perhaps shining thru a pinhole in some aluminium foil.

Cmos may be different again. Very noisy, low sensitivity.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted