Is it possible to calculate the surface degradation of a pipeline

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using FEA to calculate surface degradation of a pipeline with flowing water. It is mentioned that normal FEA is not suitable for this task and that specialized software may be needed, such as fluid structure interaction or dynamics based software. The speakers also mention the importance of empirical testing and suggest using Matlab to model different variables. They also note that the wear rate can vary depending on the conditions and materials involved.
west_cost
Is it possible to calculate the surface degradation of a pipeline that water is flowing through it using FEA?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Normal FEA, no. Also do you acutally mean corrosion or wear? If it's acutally corrosion I don't know of any software (akin to FEA) that predicts that.

I suppose you could use some fluid structure interaction software or some dynamics based softare to predict wear rates.

This is the kind of thing that's just emprically tested, even if you do get some figures from the software, you would have no idea if they are sensible or not.

I meant the wear rate which I think it is due to corrosion. FLUENT can be used to predict the shear stress of the flow. But how could I used this data to calculate the wear rate? Can you suggest me any formula?

CFD or FEA programmes alone won't do the job, it's not a trivial problem so a formula isn't a silver bullet. At the very least you'd probably need to use FSI software to do a full simulation. However if you can estimate wear rates (from testing) it's becomes a simple maths problem, and you could model different variables in Matlab.

Like I said in reality this kind of problem is solved by practical testing. I mean it depends massively on the conditions and materials involved.

So for example: pure water/oil against against a very smooth and hardened stainless steel will give you totally different wear rates to water + some grit suspended in it flowing through a soft steel.

There will be someone one here with more knowledge of this than me.

FAQ: Is it possible to calculate the surface degradation of a pipeline

1. Can the surface degradation of a pipeline be accurately calculated?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the surface degradation of a pipeline with a high level of accuracy. This can be achieved through various methods such as visual inspections, non-destructive testing, and computer simulations.

2. What factors contribute to the surface degradation of a pipeline?

There are several factors that can contribute to the surface degradation of a pipeline, including environmental conditions (such as temperature and humidity), the type of material used in the pipeline, and the type of substances flowing through the pipeline.

3. Why is it important to calculate the surface degradation of a pipeline?

Calculating the surface degradation of a pipeline is important for several reasons. It can help identify potential safety hazards, determine the remaining lifespan of the pipeline, and inform maintenance and repair schedules to prevent costly failures.

4. How often should the surface degradation of a pipeline be calculated?

The frequency of calculating the surface degradation of a pipeline depends on various factors such as the age of the pipeline, its location, and the substances it carries. In general, it is recommended to conduct regular inspections and calculations at least once a year.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the surface degradation of a pipeline?

While it is possible to calculate the surface degradation of a pipeline, there are some limitations to consider. These include the accuracy of inspection methods, potential errors in data analysis, and the unpredictable nature of environmental factors. Therefore, it is important to use a combination of methods and regularly update the calculations to ensure the most accurate results.