Is it possible to do experiment on the Planck scale?

In summary, the conversation explores the possibility of conducting experiments on the Planck length (about 10-35 m). It is determined that currently, with our technology, it is not possible to observe phenomena at this scale. The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is cited as a limit in the measurement process. However, studying quantum control theory may help improve small-scale experiments in the future. The Heisenberg principle is also mentioned as a hindrance to fully understanding systems at this scale.
Ken Gallock
Hi.
I was wondering if experiments on the Planck length (about 10-35 m) are possible or not.
If it is possible, what kind of experiment would that be?
If it's not, then what is the problem? Or what is need to be done?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know from experimentally point of view what happen but there is the Heisenberg principle as limit in the measure process ...

Ssnow said:
but there is the Heisenberg principle as limit in the measure process ...
depending on what you want to observe? Maybe some parts can work right?

Ken Gallock said:
I was wondering if experiments on the Planck length (about 10-35 m) are possible or not
Not with any currently imaginable technology. The smallest distances we've been able to measure are something around 10-18 meters, and that is fully 17 orders of magnitude away.

Likes Ken Gallock
Nugatory said:
Not with any currently imaginable technology. The smallest distances we've been able to measure are something around 10-18 meters, and that is fully 17 orders of magnitude away.

I'm studying quantum control theory. So I thought if it could help to improve those small-scale experiments in the future.
In principle, is it possible to observe 10-35 scale phenomenon?
Or there is some kind of principle that tells us it is impossible (such as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle...).

Ken Gallock said:
I'm studying quantum control theory. So I thought if it could help to improve those small-scale experiments in the future.

sure this will be usefull for future experiments, regarding the Heisenberg principle as you said you can concentrate your attention measuring exactly the space (for example) where you find a particle but in the other side you don't know the momentum so the velocity ... this doesn't permit you to have a complete description of the system ...

Likes Ken Gallock
before I replied to @tommyxu3 and I gave an answer to the original question...

1. What is the Planck scale and why is it important?

The Planck scale is the scale at which quantum effects become significant and the laws of physics as we know them break down. It is the smallest length scale at which we can meaningfully talk about space and time. It is important because it is believed to be the scale at which we can unify all four fundamental forces of nature.

2. Why is it difficult to do experiments at the Planck scale?

The Planck scale is extremely small, about 10^-35 meters, making it almost impossible to directly observe or manipulate at our current technological capabilities. Additionally, the energy required to perform experiments at this scale is far beyond what we can currently generate.

3. Can we indirectly study the Planck scale?

Yes, we can indirectly study the Planck scale through high energy experiments such as particle colliders. These experiments can provide evidence of the behavior of particles at the Planck scale, giving us insights into the fundamental laws of physics.

4. What are some proposed experiments at the Planck scale?

Some proposed experiments at the Planck scale include testing quantum gravity theories, studying the behavior of black holes, and exploring the nature of spacetime. These experiments are still in the theoretical and planning stages, as they require advanced technologies and a deep understanding of the laws of physics.

5. What are the potential implications of studying the Planck scale?

The potential implications of studying the Planck scale are immense. It could lead to a greater understanding of the universe and the laws of nature, potentially allowing us to manipulate and control fundamental forces. It could also have practical applications in fields such as technology, energy, and medicine.