1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is learning physics helpful for undergrad math students?

1. Jan 3, 2016 #1
    A few months back I bought Spacetime Physics by Taylor and Wheeler, I haven't read it, but I was planning to. Generally, I do love physics especially the math part. I'm also self-learning some courses in mathematics and I was wondering if it would be helpful to me to also start learning some advanced physics for fun.
    Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2016 #2
    What's your background in physics and math?

4. Jan 3, 2016 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes! A lot of physics should be mandatory to math students. A lot of math concepts make WAY more sense with a solid knowledge of physics. Calculus can be understood only fully by knowing some (basic) classical mechanics. Differential geometry really shines when applied to classical mechanics and GR. Functional analysis gains a whole new depth with a solid knowledge of QM. And so on, and so on.

http://pauli.uni-muenster.de/~munsteg/arnold.html

5. Jan 3, 2016 #4
    Thanks, these were my thoughts at the beginning but I wanted to make I'm investing my time in something useful.
    My background is wide, I have deep knowledge of calculus, discrete mathematics, matrices, some knowledge in Set Theory, and a bit of real analysis and number theory. I'm sure I have more knowledge in other areas but they're not that deep. As for my knowledge in physics it's not that much. I have basic understanding of Classical Mechanics, E&M, and optics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook