Is max bending stress the same as the yeild strength

In summary, The person is seeking help in determining whether to use the yield strength or allowable stress in determining the section sizes of a beam. They are advised to use the allowable stress, which is a percentage of the yield stress. They also mention a factor of safety of 3 and are confused about how to determine the allowable stress. The expert clarifies that the yield divided by three is the maximum allowable and safe load. The person then asks about calculating the width and thickness of a plate supporting a beam, to which the expert advises checking for failure in both the hinge pin and bolts. Additional factors to consider include tensile failure and pin push block out.
engtobe
i don't know whether to use the yeild srength or allowable stress to determine section sizes of a beam please help me :)

thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You should use the allowable stress which is a percentage of yield stress (e.g 60% of yield stress).

Thanks for your reply you are very kind
So I use allowable
my factor of safety is 3 but I thought that meant the allowable divided by three not the yield
how would I determine the allowable if that is the case.
Or is it just my yield divided by three equals the max allowable and safe load?

engtobe said:
Or is it just my yield divided by three equals the max allowable and safe load?
Yes, this is correct.

thanks mate :)

is it possible to calculate the width and thickness of a plate that is helping to support a beam when you have values for shear and bearing stress, a diameter of to bolts and the load it carries.

i have tried using bearing stress = load/diameter*t and then rearanging for t but the answer is wrong.

Bearing stress is one of many modes of failure. Do you have a sketch of your bolting arrangement?

yes i have attached it to this post

Attachments

• beam.gif
    beam.gif
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,088
You should check failure in both the hinge pin and bolts. In addition to the bearing stress consider:

2) Tensile failure = 2 X La X plate thickness

where La is the distance from the edge of the hole to the edge of the plate.

3) Pin push block out = 2 X d X plate thickness, where d = distance from hole edge to part edge.

Related to Is max bending stress the same as the yeild strength

1. Is max bending stress the same as the yield strength?

No, max bending stress and yield strength are not the same. Max bending stress is the maximum stress that a material can withstand before it undergoes plastic deformation, while yield strength is the stress at which a material begins to deform permanently.

2. How are max bending stress and yield strength related?

Max bending stress is typically higher than yield strength, as it is the maximum stress that a material can withstand before it permanently deforms. However, the relationship between the two depends on the material's properties and the type of loading it is subjected to.

3. Can the same material have different max bending stress and yield strength?

Yes, the same material can have different values for max bending stress and yield strength. These values depend on various factors such as the material's composition, microstructure, and processing methods.

4. Are there any materials that have the same max bending stress and yield strength?

It is possible for some materials to have the same max bending stress and yield strength, but it is not common. The values for these two properties depend on the material's structural integrity and its ability to withstand external forces.

5. How is max bending stress measured and calculated?

Max bending stress is typically measured and calculated using the formula σ = My/I, where σ is the stress, M is the bending moment, y is the distance from the neutral axis to the point of interest, and I is the moment of inertia. This formula takes into account the material's properties, the applied force, and the geometry of the object being bent.