Is My Procedure for Calculating Water Density in a Chemistry Lab Correct?

In summary, the conversation was about a chemistry lab involving the study of density. The main question was whether the procedures being followed were correct. The link provided was to the lab instructions, which explained that density is the mass of a substance per unit volume and is constant for the same substance at the same temperature and pressure. The conversation also touched upon verifying the relationship between mass and volume, using a graduated cylinder, and understanding what is meant by "graduations" on glassware. The final question was about dividing by 10, which was to determine the density of water in grams per milliliter.
lolzwhut?
I'm curious if I'm doing this chemistry lab correctly or not. If you open the link below, you can see the lab. Basically, my job right now is to write a well formulated procedure on how to perform this lab.

So, for this lab, am I supposed to be calculating the mass of the substance (h2o in this case) in the provided methods for 3 trials? What I don't quite get is how to verify that the mass is directional proportional to its volume. I feel very unsure about my procedures I wrote. So if anyone can, would they mind checking the lab and steer me in the right direction or atleast verify if what I'm doing is right?

Thanks in advance.

https://viewer.zoho.com/docs/uaBiK"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is just a study of density, which is a property of a substance. The density is how much mass for a given volume, thus having units of grams per milliliter (g/mL = g/cm^3). At the same temperature and pressure this property is always constant provided the substance is chemically the same every time (i.e. no other chemicals were added during trials 2 and 3).

For water at 1 atm and 25 C the density is approximately 1.0 g/mL.

Verifying that the mass is always proportional to the volume is easy. You are just measuring the density at different volumes and if they are the same then you've succeeded.

For example, first get the mass of a graduated cylinder and then pour 10 mL water into it and take the mass again. Now you have [(Mass water & cylinder) - (Mass Cylinder)]/10 mL = Density of water g/mL.
Next repeat this using 7 mL of water and then 9 mL. You will get the approximately the same number!

Maybe you will get
trial 1 = 0.995 g/mL
trial 2 = 0.990 g/mL
trial 3 = 0.998 g/mL
Which is correct! You should be somewhere in this range!

Thanks, I was right :) I even asked the teacher, he confirmed it. Also, there's this odd question...

"What does it mean when you a piece of glassware that is "graduated" or has "graduations" on it?" Couldn't we describe graduations as precise measuring marks?

lolzwhut? said:
"What does it mean when you a piece of glassware that is "graduated" or has "graduations" on it?" Couldn't we describe graduations as precise measuring marks?

We can, just note that you can have a single volume or multiple volumes calibrated glass.

Compare http://www.titrations.info/pipette-burette for more details about calibrated glass.

mrmiller1 said:
Now you have [(Mass water & cylinder) - (Mass Cylinder)]/10 mL = Density of water g/mL.

Just curious, but why are we dividing by 10? FYI, I'm taking the temperature in Fahrenheit.

Last edited:

Related to Is My Procedure for Calculating Water Density in a Chemistry Lab Correct?

1. What is the purpose of a general chemistry lab?

The purpose of a general chemistry lab is to provide hands-on experience and practical application of the concepts learned in the classroom. It allows students to develop their skills in conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions, which are essential for a career in science.

2. What safety precautions should be taken in a chemistry lab?

Safety is of utmost importance in a chemistry lab. Students should always wear appropriate protective gear, such as goggles and lab coats, and follow all safety procedures outlined by the instructor. They should also be familiar with the location and proper use of safety equipment, such as fire extinguishers and emergency showers.

3. How should data be recorded in a chemistry lab?

Data should be recorded accurately and neatly in a lab notebook. This includes writing out the procedure and observations, recording measurements and calculations, and noting any unexpected results or observations. It is important to record data in a timely manner and include all necessary information for future reference.

4. What is the difference between qualitative and quantitative data in a chemistry lab?

Qualitative data is descriptive in nature and involves observations that cannot be measured, such as color, odor, or texture. Quantitative data, on the other hand, involves measurements and numerical values, such as mass or volume. Both types of data are important in a chemistry lab and can be used to draw conclusions.

5. How should lab equipment be cleaned and stored?

After each use, lab equipment should be cleaned thoroughly with the appropriate cleaning solution and dried with a clean cloth. Glassware should be stored upside down to prevent dust and debris from collecting inside. All equipment should be returned to its designated storage location and any broken or damaged items should be reported to the instructor.