Is Newtons calculus approximate?

In summary, the moment of inertia of a rod of mass M and length L about an axis passing through the center of rod and perpendicular to the rod is ML2/12. In two different methods, the moment of inertia comes to be either 4.27705 or 4.19319. The code in c++ is below: First, the mass is multiplied by the distance between atoms, then the distance is increased by the diameter of the atoms. The second method uses Newton's equation and calculates the moment of inertia by each atom. The code in c++ is below: First, the mass is multiplied by the distance between atoms, then the distance is increased by the diameter of the atoms. The second method uses Newton
nil1996
Hello PF :smile:

i was studying rotational motion
it is given in my textbook that the moment of inertia of a rod of mass M and length L about an axis passing through the center of rod and perpendicular to the rod is ML2/12

This formula was prepared using calculus.
So i experimented...
a assumed a rod of length 101 atoms of copper.its atomic mass is 63.546. and Van der waals radius of 140pm.

so i made a computer program to calculate the moment of inertia of the rod by both methods
1] calculating the moment of inertia by each atom. (first method)
2] using that formula by Newton. (second method)
(You can skip the code)
The code in c++ is below:
#include<iostream>
#include<conio.h>
using namespace std;
int main()
{
int i=0;
int distance=280;
int diameter=280;
float mass=63.546;
float moment1=0.0;
float moment2=0.0;
int length=28000;
for(int i=0;i<50;i++)
{
moment1=mass*distance*distance; //calculates the moment of single atom
distance=distance+diameter; //increases the distance
moment2=moment2+moment1; //passes its value
}
cout<<"moment by nils method comes to be :"<<moment2*2<<endl;
cout<<"moment by Newtons method comes to be :"<<101*mass*length*length/12<<endl;
getch();
}

the results come
1]4.27705 (by first method)
2]4.19319 (second method)

the result of the above code is in moment.zip ( in the attachment)

also check if i have gone wrong anywhere:tongue2:

Attachments

• moment of inertia.zip
    4.4 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try making the initial distance 140 instead of 280, since that will be the distance from the center of the rod to the center of the first atom.

Also, you loop 50 times. Doesn't that give you 100 atoms if there are 1 each on oppossing side from the center? If that is so, then multiply by 100 instead of 101 for the Newton equation.

Got it right :)

i added 280 to the length of the rod as the radius of the end atoms was not considered while calculating the moment of inertia according to Newtons formula. Yet the last 2 digits are different,don't know why?

nil1996 said:
Got it right :)

i added 280 to the length of the rod as the radius of the end atoms was not considered while calculating the moment of inertia according to Newtons formula. Yet the last 2 digits are different,don't know why?

Cumulative rounding error, perhaps?

phinds said:
Cumulative rounding error, perhaps?

yes it must rounding error

thanks

Try declaring the the two variables as double instead of float, see if you get an interestingly different result.

The integration assumes that the mass distribution is continuous, and you are assuming that the mass distribution is discrete. This will account for the slight difference in results.

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
The integration assumes that the mass distribution is continuous, and you are assuming that the mass distribution is discrete. The will account for the slight difference in results.

So integration does a small assumption,which isn't true in reality isn't it?

nil1996 said:
In this case, yes. In general, it depends on what you are integrating.

Frankly, I fail to see the point of the entire exercise. First of all, this has nothing to do with Newton. The concept "moment of inertia" was introduced by Euler, about half a century after Newton published his Principles. Second, obviously an integral and a finite sum approximating that integral will be different somewhat depending on the quality of the approximation. This has nothing to do with Newton or Euler, either, because none probably even bothered thinking on convergence and stability of numerical schemes, or even the soundness of integral's definition as a limit of integral sums to begin with, which was first done by Riemann another century later.

nil1996 said:
Well, if you had 1023 atoms, it wouldn't matter. And, what happens in the discrete calculation when you have 1023, and one atom is sticking out a little more on one end than on the other, or, if you don't know whether you have 1023 atoms or 1023+1 atoms? Or, how would you handle the discrete calculation if the atoms were vibrating. In practice, if you had 1023, you couldn't do the discrete calculation anyway. There is some assumption made in every calculation you do.

1. Is Newtons calculus considered to be approximate?

Yes, Newton's calculus is considered to be approximate because it uses finite differences to approximate the derivative and integral. This means that it is not always an exact solution, but rather an approximation that gets closer to the true solution as the interval gets smaller.

2. How accurate is Newtons calculus?

The accuracy of Newton's calculus depends on the size of the interval used to approximate the derivative or integral. The smaller the interval, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, it is important to note that it is still an approximation and not an exact solution.

3. What are the limitations of Newtons calculus?

One limitation of Newton's calculus is that it only works for continuous functions. It also does not take into account factors such as discontinuities or sharp corners in a function, which can affect the accuracy of the approximation. Additionally, it cannot be used for functions that are not differentiable.

4. How does Newtons calculus compare to other methods of calculus?

Newtons calculus is one of the earliest forms of calculus and has been surpassed by more advanced methods, such as Leibniz's calculus and the modern form of calculus taught in universities today. These methods are more precise and rigorous, making them more suitable for applications in modern science and engineering.

5. Can Newtons calculus still be used in modern science and engineering?

While Newton's calculus is no longer the primary method used in modern science and engineering, it can still be used for simple calculations and approximations. It also serves as an important foundation for understanding more advanced forms of calculus and their applications.