Missing Pages in Fundamentals of Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses a copy of the book Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday, Resnick and Walker, which has 952 pages plus appendices. However, the index contains entries that point to pages beyond 952, suggesting there may be a second volume. The person is unsure where they got the book and may not be able to get a refund. Further research suggests some editions were split over more than 2 volumes and the ISBN may be needed to determine the correct edition. The book may be missing 12 signatures if it is case bound and there could be gaps in the index.
Prophet
I have a copy of Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday, Resnick and Walker. The book has 952 pages plus appendices. There are many entries in the index which point to pages beyond 952. For example if I look up "dark matter" it points to page 1136. There's no such page. I don't know what's going on but I suspect that there's supposed to be a second volume. Does anyone know?

There's no chance of my getting my money back. I've had this book for several years and I don't recall where I got it. Probably Amazon.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's possible different editions are/were split differently so you may need to get the same edition as your volume or there could be gaps and the index won't match

What is the ISBN for your copy?

Is this hardbound? If it's case bound (like 99.9% of hardcover books), you would be missing 12 signatures, and if something were wrong it would be obvious that the spine is too big for the book.

You are probably mentioning an extension, which are usually a few chapters devoted to more advanced topics than the text offers.

1. What are the missing pages in Fundamentals of Physics?

The missing pages in Fundamentals of Physics are pages 49-60 in the 11th edition and pages 49-64 in the 12th edition. These pages were removed because they contained outdated or incorrect information.

2. Why were these pages removed?

These pages were removed because they contained outdated or incorrect information. The authors of Fundamentals of Physics wanted to ensure that the textbook was accurate and up-to-date for students, so they removed these pages and updated the information in later editions.

3. Are these missing pages important for understanding the concepts in the textbook?

No, these missing pages do not contain essential information for understanding the concepts in the textbook. The information on these pages can be found in other sources or in later editions of the textbook.

4. How can I access the information on these missing pages?

If you have an older version of the Fundamentals of Physics textbook, you can still access the information on these missing pages. However, it is recommended to use the most recent edition of the textbook for accurate and updated information.

5. Can I still use an older version of Fundamentals of Physics without these missing pages?

Yes, you can still use an older version of Fundamentals of Physics without these missing pages. The majority of the textbook remains unchanged, and the missing pages do not contain crucial information for understanding the concepts. However, it is recommended to use the most recent edition for accuracy and updated information.