Is string theory deterministic?

In summary, the conversation discusses the determinism of string theory and whether the Theory of Every Thing should be deterministic. It is mentioned that string theory is a quantum theory and therefore not deterministic, but there is a theory of classical strings which is deterministic but not widely used. The possibility of creating deterministic quantum theories using hidden variables is also mentioned, but it is not commonly applied to string theory. It is suggested that a final theory may still have indeterministic nature. The conversation also discusses the nonlocal features of both hidden variable quantum theories and string theory.
Phys988
Is string theory deterministic?

So if a supernatural mind knows all the physical information in the universe at a specific moment then he will exactly know (using string theory) what will happen in the future.

If string theory is not deterministic, should the Theory of Every Thing be a deterministic one?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am very much not the best person to answer this question, but:

My understanding is that string theory is a quantum theory, and that means it is not deterministic.

There is a theory of "classical strings"-- remember, strings are just vibrating 1D objects-- which would (since it is classical) be deterministic. However to my knowledge classical string theory is not used in physics. As far as I know it is used just in textbooks to introduce students to the subject, and also as a building block to derive quantum string theory from.

(As an aside: There exist philosophical complications to the claim, as I make above, that "quantum theories are not deterministic". It is possible to create deterministic quantum theories by the use of "hidden variables". For example the "Bohm interpretation" of quantum mechanics uses hidden variables and so is deterministic, in the sense that a "universe sysadmin" with access to the hidden variables could use that knowledge to calculate as you say "what would happen in future". However hidden variable quantum theories have their practical difficulties-- for one thing, they must be nonlocal theories-- and hidden variable theories are not widely used or considered as useful that I have seen. In particular I have never seen anyone attempt to apply hidden-variable interpretation to string theory.)

Last edited:
So as I understood that a final theory or "The theory of Every Thing" may not be deterministic, so humans may reach in the future a theory explains every thing about the universe, but still that theory have indeterministic nature.

Coin said:
In particular I have never seen anyone attempt to apply hidden-variable interpretation to string theory.
Then see
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/hep-th/0512186
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/hep-th/0605250
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/hep-th/0702060
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/0705.3542

You also said that "hidden variable quantum theories have their practical difficulties-- for one thing, they must be nonlocal theories". Well, due to certain dualities, string theory also has some nonlocal features. This, indeed, is used as one of the arguments (in one of the papers above) for the relation between string theory and Bohmian mechanics.

See also
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=220745

Last edited:

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to merge the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity. It suggests that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but tiny one-dimensional strings that vibrate at different frequencies.

2. Is string theory deterministic?

This is a complex and debated question. Some interpretations of string theory suggest that it is deterministic, meaning that it follows a predictable set of rules and equations. However, other interpretations argue that it is non-deterministic, meaning that there is an element of randomness and uncertainty within the theory.

3. How does string theory relate to determinism?

Determinism is the philosophical concept that all events are caused by previous events and that the future is predetermined. In string theory, the equations and rules that govern the behavior of strings are seen as deterministic, but the initial conditions and starting point of the strings may be random, leading to a non-deterministic outcome.

4. What evidence is there for or against string theory being deterministic?

Currently, there is no experimental evidence to prove or disprove the determinism of string theory. It is still a theoretical framework and has not yet been tested through experiments. Some scientists argue that certain aspects of string theory, such as the concept of holographic duality, support determinism, while others point to the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics as evidence against determinism.

5. How does the idea of free will fit into string theory?

The concept of free will is a philosophical and ethical question that is still debated. String theory, as a scientific theory, does not directly address the idea of free will. However, some interpretations of string theory suggest that the universe is predetermined and therefore, free will may not exist. Others argue that the randomness and uncertainty within the theory allow for the possibility of free will.