Is the Dot Product of Two Vector Pairs Always Commutative?

The particular case where they are equal is when cos(a,b) and cos(c,d) are both zero or both 1 (i.e. when a and b, c and d are parallel or perpendicular pairs).In summary, the dot product is not commutative for vectors and therefore (a*b)(c*d) is not equal to (a*c)(b*d). This can be seen by finding a counterexample or by considering the geometric interpretation of the dot product.
digipony

Homework Statement

The Attempt at a Solution

I am working a physics problem and want to make sure I'm not making a mistake in the math. Here is my math inquiry:

Say you have (a*b)(c*d) where * indicates the dot product, and a,b,c, and d are all vectors. Can you say that (a*b)(c*d) = (a*c)(b*d) since the dot product is commutative and gives you a scalar? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
digipony said:

Homework Statement

I am working a physics problem and want to make sure I'm not making a mistake in the math. Here is my math inquiry:

Say you have (a*b)(c*d) where * indicates the dot product, and a,b,c, and d are all vectors. Can you say that (a*b)(c*d) = (a*c)(b*d) since the dot product is commutative and gives you a scalar? Thanks!

No. You can't. Neither of those properties says you can swap vectors between two different dot products.

If you're ever unsure of these things, always try to find a counterexample. Take a = [1,0], b = [1,0], c = [1,1] and d = [1,2]. Then,

(a*b)(c*d) = (1)(1 + 2) = 3

but

(a*c)(b*d) = (1)(1) = 1

Sorry, accidentally double posted.

Dick said:
No. You can't. Neither of those properties says you can swap vectors between two different dot products.

Darn- it made the problem so easy, but I guess that was a sign that I was probably doing something that I should not be doing. Thank you for explaining why I could not shuffle the vectors around. :)

Karnage1993 said:
If you're ever unsure of these things, always try to find a counterexample. Take a = [1,0], b = [1,0], c = [1,1] and d = [1,2]. Then,

(a*b)(c*d) = (1)(1 + 2) = 3

but

(a*c)(b*d) = (1)(1) = 1
I did try an example, however it worked out. But I guess it wasn't that good of an example since it was a fluke that it worked out. Thanks

digipony said:

Homework Statement

No, as others have already pointed out.

You can see this another way: a*b = |a||b| cos(a,b) and c*d = |c||d|cos(c,d), where |a|, |b| are the magnitudes of a and b and (a,b) is the angle between a and b, and similarly for c and d. In general, we do not have cos(a,c).cos(b,d) equal to cos(a,b).cos(c,d), so the two expressions are generally different.

Related to Is the Dot Product of Two Vector Pairs Always Commutative?

What is the definition of dot product?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and returns a scalar value as output. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then summing up the results.

What are the properties of dot product?

The properties of dot product are commutativity, distributivity, and associativity. This means that the order of the vectors being multiplied does not matter, it can be distributed over vector addition, and it is associative when multiplied by a scalar.

How is the dot product related to the angle between two vectors?

The dot product is related to the angle between two vectors through the formula cosθ = (a · b) / (|a| * |b|), where θ is the angle between the vectors and a · b is the dot product of the two vectors. This means that the dot product can be used to determine the angle between two vectors.

What is the geometric interpretation of the dot product?

The geometric interpretation of the dot product is that it represents the projection of one vector onto the direction of another vector. This means that the dot product can be used to find the component of one vector in the direction of another vector.

How is the dot product used in physics?

The dot product is used in physics to calculate the work done by a force on an object, as well as the amount of energy transferred from one object to another. It is also used in determining the direction of torque in rotational motion.