Exploring Infrared Light: Is It Visible to Our Eyes?

In summary, our inability to see infrared light is due to the fact that our retinas have cone cells with proteins that are not sensitive to light in the IR range. This is because they are only stimulated by a small range of the spectrum, and thus, they cannot detect wavelengths greater than 750nm. This is also why certain animals can see in other parts of the spectrum, as they have different proteins in their eyes.
gehrenfeld
I am 74yo and love Physics.
If my basic knowledge of physics is correct, light is a photon.

My question is:
1. Is the reason we cannot see infrared light because the spectrum travels at a wave link our eyes cannot see?
2. Does the light from the sun have all the different waves combined, and we only see one frequency, or are all the waves separate?

I hope my question made sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes pinball1970
Thank you.
I learned a great deal from those articles.

Likes pinball1970 and Dale
More specifically, the reason we can't see infrared is because our retinas have cone cells with proteins that are sensitive to a small range of the spectrum, and they are not stimulated by light in the IR range. (off the right side of the graph - wavelengths > 750nm):

1650229552276.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_vision

This explains why some animals can see in other parts of the spectrum - they have different proteins.

Likes InkTide, vanhees71, PeroK and 1 other person

1. What is infrared light?

Infrared light is a type of electromagnetic radiation that has a longer wavelength than visible light. It falls between the visible light and microwave regions on the electromagnetic spectrum.

2. Is infrared light visible to our eyes?

No, infrared light is not visible to our eyes. Our eyes are only able to detect a small portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, known as visible light. Infrared light has a longer wavelength than visible light, making it invisible to our eyes.

3. How can we detect infrared light?

Infrared light can be detected using specialized equipment, such as infrared cameras or sensors. These devices are able to detect the heat emitted by objects in the form of infrared radiation and convert it into an image that we can see.

4. What are the applications of infrared light?

Infrared light has many practical applications, including thermal imaging, night vision, and remote sensing. It is also used in industries such as agriculture, medicine, and astronomy for various purposes such as monitoring plant health, detecting tumors, and studying celestial objects.

5. Is infrared light harmful to humans?

Infrared light is not harmful to humans in small doses. In fact, our bodies emit infrared radiation as heat. However, prolonged exposure to high levels of infrared radiation can lead to skin burns and eye damage. It is important to use protective gear when working with high levels of infrared light.