Is the System at Equilibrium with Given Concentrations?

In summary: Best,In summary, the equilibrium constant for the reaction is 62/2x3 and at 740 K, the concentration of hydrogen gas is 2 M, iodine gas is 3 M, and hydrogen iodide gas is 6 M. The concentration of hydrogen iodide will increase over time and decrease over time.
brake4country

Homework Statement

Consider the following reaction:
H2 + I2 → 2HI (all gases)
At 740 K, this reaction has an equilibrium constant of 50. If, at 740 K, the concentration of hydrogen gas is 2 M, iodine gas is 3 M, and hydrogen iodide gas is 6 M:
(A) the concentration of hydrogen iodide will increase over time
(B) the concentration of hydrogen iodide will decrease over time
(C) the system is at equilibrium
(D) this combination of concentrations is inconsistent with the information given

Homework Equations

NA

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the correct answer is (A) but I wanted to make sure my reasoning is correct.
Since all are gases, the Keq = [HI]2/[H] = 62/2x3, therefore, K = 6. If the calculated value for K is less than the equilibrium constant of 50 in the equation, this means that the reaction will shift to produce more HI. Additionally, if the calculated K value was greater than 50, then I am assuming the the products would shift toward the left to yield more reactants.

Physics news on Phys.org
brake4country said:

Homework Statement

Consider the following reaction:
H2 + I2 → 2HI (all gases)
At 740 K, this reaction has an equilibrium constant of 50. If, at 740 K, the concentration of hydrogen gas is 2 M, iodine gas is 3 M, and hydrogen iodide gas is 6 M:
(A) the concentration of hydrogen iodide will increase over time
(B) the concentration of hydrogen iodide will decrease over time
(C) the system is at equilibrium
(D) this combination of concentrations is inconsistent with the information given

Homework Equations

NA

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the correct answer is (A) but I wanted to make sure my reasoning is correct.
Since all are gases, the Keq = [HI]2/[H] = 62/2x3, therefore, K = 6. If the calculated value for K is less than the equilibrium constant of 50 in the equation, this means that the reaction will shift to produce more HI. Additionally, if the calculated K value was greater than 50, then I am assuming the the products would shift toward the left to yield more reactants.

This is correct, but usually, the non-equilibrium equivalent of Keq is called Q. Since Q (=6) < Keq, products will form, reactants will decrease, until Q = Keq -- i.e. equilibrium has been reached.

Ok. So I basically calculated a Q value. Thank you!

For the record: Q is called a "reaction quotient".

1. What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state of balance in a chemical reaction where the forward and reverse reactions occur at equal rates, resulting in no overall change in the concentrations of reactants and products.

2. How is equilibrium reached?

Equilibrium is reached when the forward and reverse reactions have reached the same rate, which can happen when the concentrations of reactants and products stabilize.

3. What is the role of concentration in equilibrium?

Concentration is an important factor in equilibrium because it affects the rate at which reactants and products are formed. Higher concentrations of reactants can lead to a faster rate of the forward reaction, while higher concentrations of products can lead to a faster rate of the reverse reaction.

4. How can equilibrium be shifted?

Equilibrium can be shifted by changing the concentration, temperature, or pressure of the system. Adding or removing reactants or products can also shift the equilibrium in accordance with Le Chatelier's principle.

5. How do you calculate equilibrium constant?

The equilibrium constant, represented by Keq, is a measure of the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium. It can be calculated by dividing the concentration of products by the concentration of reactants, with each concentration raised to the power of its coefficient in the balanced chemical equation.