Is there a difference between essence &

• Thread starter Roxy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, the conversation is about the difference between the words "essence" and "important characteristic" and how they are used in our vocabulary. The speaker defines "essence" as the set of characteristics that make up a specific object and mentions that they tend to avoid using the term because of its association with Plato, Aristotle, and Christian scholasticism. Another speaker adds Wittgenstein's perspective, stating that the essence of something may simply be its similarities to other things, or its "family resemblances".
Roxy
characteristic?? Don't you think they are the same (me & my friends we arguing about this) :tongue2:

Physics news on Phys.org
Roxy said:
characteristic?? Don't you think they are the same (me & my friends we arguing about this) :tongue2:

Are you talking about the difference between Universal and Particular? Or is this more a question of whether "essence" (the word) is used in the same way as "important characteristic" in our vocabulary?

There's certainly a difference in the way I use the two words. "Essence" is used to denote the set of characteristics that must obtain to qualify any given object as a specific type. For instance, the essence of a rock is that it is a solid, continuous single object composed of mineral conglomerates, most of the time mixtures of ionic compounds, but sometimes single metalloids. Each of those things is a characteristic of a rock, but only the sum total of them make up the rock's "essence." Actually, essence is a term that I generally avoid using if I can, because of the historical association with the "forms" of Plato/Aristotle and the subsequent entanglement with Christian scholasticism.

Good post, LYN. To add Wittgenstein's perspective (and I don't want to be considered just a Wittgenstein-parrot, but you've already covered my other views fairly well, with your post): The "essence" of something might simply be its family resemblance to other things like it.

Example: The language-games all have some things in common with other language-games, but they don't have one singular thing that is common to all of them. Therefore, the search for an "essence of language", in LYN's framework, would be somewhat futile. However, these similarities that they share among each other make up the "family resemblances" of Wittgenstein's philosophy on language, and can thus be considered something akin to language's "essence".

What is the definition of essence?

Essence refers to the fundamental nature or quality of something, often considered as its defining characteristic.

What does essence mean in philosophy?

In philosophy, essence is the set of attributes or properties that make an object or entity what it fundamentally is, and without which it would lose its identity.

Is there a difference between essence and existence?

Yes, there is a difference between essence and existence. Essence refers to the intrinsic nature of something, while existence refers to its state of being or presence in the physical world.

How do scientists study essence?

Scientists study essence through various methods, including observation, experimentation, and analysis of data. They may also use theoretical frameworks and models to understand the fundamental nature of a phenomenon.

Can essence be objectively measured?

No, essence cannot be objectively measured as it refers to the intrinsic qualities or nature of something, which cannot be quantified. However, scientists can study and analyze the effects and manifestations of essence through empirical research.