Is there a way to show that Ak is unitarily similar to Bk using induction?

• Thread starter chuy52506
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, we are given that A is unitarily similar to B, and we want to show that A^k is unitarily similar to B^k for all positive integers k. We can use induction to show that this is true for k=1, and then for k=n+1, we can express A^(n+1) in terms of U and B using the induction hypothesis and the definition of unitary similarity. We then need to prove that this statement is true, which can be done by further manipulation and substitution in terms of U and B.
chuy52506

Homework Statement

SUppose A and B are nxn matrices in the complex field and that A is unitarily similar to B.

Homework Equations

Show that Ak is unitarily similar to Bk for all k=1,2,3,..

The Attempt at a Solution

I used induction to show its true for k=1 which it is.
Then for k=n+1,
An+1=(U*)n+1Bn+1Un+1
AnA=(Un)*(U*)B(Bn)UnU.

That is as far as i got, any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You want [itex]A^k = U^\dagger B^k U[/itex]. You don't need to take U and its adjoint to the k-th power.

so then would it be simply
An+1=U*Bn+1U?? and I am finished?

Well, you need to prove that statement is true.

so i would have
AnA=U*BnBU

i am stuck??=[

chuy52506 said:
so i would have
AnA=U*BnBU
Nope, you have, using the induction hypothesis An=U*BnU,

An+1 = AnA = (U*BnU)A

Now write that last factor of A in terms of U and B.

Related to Is there a way to show that Ak is unitarily similar to Bk using induction?

What are unitarily similar matrices?

Unitarily similar matrices are matrices that have the same eigenvalues and eigenvectors. This means that the matrices can be transformed into each other using a unitary matrix, which is a matrix whose inverse is equal to its conjugate transpose.

What is the significance of unitarily similar matrices?

Unitarily similar matrices have the same eigenvalues and eigenvectors, which means they represent the same linear transformation. This makes them useful in solving problems involving linear transformations, such as finding eigenvectors and eigenvalues.

How can I determine if two matrices are unitarily similar?

Two matrices are unitarily similar if they have the same eigenvalues and eigenvectors. This can be determined by finding the eigendecomposition of the matrices and comparing their eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

What is the relationship between unitarily similar matrices and diagonalizable matrices?

Unitarily similar matrices are a special case of diagonalizable matrices. While all unitarily similar matrices are diagonalizable, not all diagonalizable matrices are unitarily similar. This is because unitarily similar matrices have the additional constraint of having a unitary matrix as the transformation matrix.

Can unitarily similar matrices have different dimensions?

No, unitarily similar matrices must have the same dimensions. This is because the transformation matrix must be square in order for it to be unitary, and the transformation matrix is used to transform the original matrix into the similar matrix.