Is There a Better Way to Demonstrate Force on a Current-Carrying Wire?

• Thread starter VitaminK
  • Start date
In summary, the development of an emf across a moving bar, due to the presence of a magnetic field, can generate an opposing current to the power supply current. This current can be used to generate force on the bar, which in turn stops the bar from accelerating.
VitaminK
Homework Statement
First, I had to look at how the number of turns in a coil affected the size of the induced ems (by approaching a bar magnet) .
Second, I had to look at how the speed of the bar magnet, approaching the coil, affected the induced ems.
Third, I had to look at which direction the induced current would have depending on the pole of the approaching magnet.
Relevant Equations
No equation
My question is if there is an alternative, maybe better, way of doing this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well...to the best of my knowledge, that's just what Faraday did. I firmly believe he was a smart guy.
Of course there are beautiful alternatives; here is a nice one:$$\nabla\times\vec E=-\frac{\partial\vec B}{\partial t}$$

To answer your stated question, you do need a magnetic field but you don't need a coil.
A metal bar moving in a stationary B field will also experience a generated emf and voltage. The voltage can be read with a voltmeter if its leads are not affected by the B field.

DaveE said:
Like this? Parallel bar demo
Or this? Rail gun demo
Both these videos are intended to demonstrate force on a current-carrying wire by an external B field, not necessarily induction.

In the 1st demo there is induction only while the wires are in motion.

The rail gun is actually a pretty interesting example. Current is fed to the bar, resistance = r, by the external power supply = V. If the rail has zero ohms resistance then that current will be V/r.

BUT - as the bar begins to move, there is emf developed across the bar = Blv, l=bar length, v = velocity of bar. The induced emf thus builds up with speed which generates an opposing current to the power supply current in the bar.

When V = Blv there will be zero current in the bar and no further force is applied to the bar.

So we do have induction here, and it plays an important part. Force on the bar starts out at F = BlV/r but thanks to induction ends up at zero so it stops accelerating.

(I can't tell if his setup is exactly as I assumed; can't tell from the video.)

If there were no external power supply it would be a more basic demo of induction: move the bar along the rail; an emf is generated in the bar the same way = Blv.

1. What is "A Better Way of Doing This"?

"A Better Way of Doing This" is a phrase often used in scientific research to describe a new or improved method or approach to a particular problem or question.

2. How is "A Better Way of Doing This" different from current methods?

"A Better Way of Doing This" is typically based on new evidence, technology, or ideas that have been developed since the current methods were established. It may also address limitations or flaws in current methods.

3. Why is it important to find "A Better Way of Doing This"?

Finding "A Better Way of Doing This" can lead to more accurate, efficient, and cost-effective results in scientific research. It can also open up new avenues for exploration and discovery.

4. How do scientists determine if "A Better Way of Doing This" is truly better?

Scientists use various methods such as experiments, data analysis, and peer review to evaluate the effectiveness and validity of "A Better Way of Doing This" compared to current methods.

5. Can "A Better Way of Doing This" be applied to other areas of research?

Yes, the principles and techniques used in "A Better Way of Doing This" can often be applied to other areas of research, leading to further advancements and improvements in the scientific community.