Is this a Brønsted–Lowry acid–base reaction?

• Thread starter Saracen Rue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, a solution of sulfuric acid is added to a solution of potassium hydroxide in a Brønsted–Lowry acid–base reaction. The balanced equation for this reaction is H2SO4 + 2KOH → K2SO4 + 2H2O. The main difference between Brønsted–Lowry and other acid–base theories is the focus on the transfer of protons between molecules.
Saracen Rue

Homework Statement

A solution of sulfuric acid is added to a solution of potassium hydroxide. Write a balanced equation for this and identify whether or not this is a Brønsted–Lowry acid–base reaction.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to write the equation just fine, and I've identified the type of reaction as being an acid + base = salt + water. However, I am unsure of if this is the same as a Brønsted–Lowry acid–base reaction. I am thinking they are different, but I don't really have any justification for this, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
A good starting place would be to review the definition of Bronsted-Lowry acids and bases and see if sulfuric acid and potassium hydroxide fit those definitions.

Also, see the main point where Bronsted Lowry becomes unique...That is, what makes it different from Arrhenius, or Lewis acid base pairs.
Good luck!

1. What is a Brønsted–Lowry acid–base reaction?

A Brønsted–Lowry acid–base reaction is a chemical reaction that involves the transfer of a proton (H+) from an acid to a base. This results in the formation of a conjugate acid and a conjugate base.

2. How do you determine if a reaction is a Brønsted–Lowry acid–base reaction?

To determine if a reaction is a Brønsted–Lowry acid–base reaction, you must first identify the acid and base present in the reaction. The acid is the species that donates a proton, while the base is the species that accepts a proton. If a proton transfer occurs between the acid and base, then it is a Brønsted–Lowry acid–base reaction.

3. What are some examples of Brønsted–Lowry acid–base reactions?

Some examples of Brønsted–Lowry acid–base reactions include the reaction between hydrochloric acid (HCl) and ammonia (NH3) to form ammonium chloride (NH4Cl), and the reaction between acetic acid (CH3COOH) and sodium hydroxide (NaOH) to form sodium acetate (CH3COONa) and water (H2O).

4. Can a Brønsted–Lowry acid–base reaction occur in solvents other than water?

Yes, Brønsted–Lowry acid–base reactions can occur in solvents other than water. As long as there is a proton transfer between an acid and a base, it is considered a Brønsted–Lowry acid–base reaction. Examples of other solvents include alcohols, ammonia, and sulfuric acid.

5. What is the difference between a Brønsted–Lowry acid–base reaction and a Lewis acid–base reaction?

The main difference between a Brønsted–Lowry acid–base reaction and a Lewis acid–base reaction is the definition of acids and bases. In a Brønsted–Lowry reaction, acids are defined as proton donors and bases are defined as proton acceptors. In a Lewis reaction, acids are defined as electron pair acceptors and bases are defined as electron pair donors. Additionally, Brønsted–Lowry reactions involve the transfer of a proton, while Lewis reactions involve the transfer of an electron pair.