Is this against Kelvin-Planck statement?

In summary, the conversation discusses an ideal gas expanding isothermally in contact with a heat source and the resulting change in internal energy (∆U). It is determined that ∆U is zero in this case because T=constant. This leads to a discussion about the validity of the Kelvin-Planck statement, which states that there is no process where the sole result is the full transformation of heat into work. After considering the equations pv=nRT and dW=-pdV, it is concluded that all the heat absorbed by the gas in this process is converted into work, which goes against the Kelvin-Planck statement. However, there is a need for clarification in the wording of the statement, which states that any device used in
pitbull
Gold Member

Homework Statement

An ideal gas expands isothermally in contact with a heat source. ∆U is zero in this case because it is an ideal gas and T=constant. Is this against Kelvin-Planck statement?

Homework Equations

pv=nRT
dW=-pdV
Kelvin-Planck statement: There is no process whose only result is the full transformation of heat into work.

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess is, ∆U=Q+W=0, therefore
Q=integral(pdv)=nRTlog(Vfinal/Vinitial)>0
W=-nRTlog(Vfinal/Vinitial)
So all the heat that the gas absorbs turns into work. Therefore, this is against K-P statement, but I have a feeling that I am wrong. Can you guys help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes pitbull

1. Is it possible to violate the Kelvin-Planck statement?

No, the Kelvin-Planck statement is a fundamental law of thermodynamics and cannot be violated.

2. What does the Kelvin-Planck statement state?

The Kelvin-Planck statement states that it is impossible for any system to operate in a thermodynamic cycle and produce a net amount of work while only exchanging energy with a single reservoir.

3. Why is the Kelvin-Planck statement important?

The Kelvin-Planck statement is important because it sets limits on the efficiency of heat engines and helps us understand the transfer and conversion of energy in thermodynamic systems.

4. Can the Kelvin-Planck statement be applied to all thermodynamic systems?

Yes, the Kelvin-Planck statement applies to all thermodynamic systems, including both closed and open systems.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Kelvin-Planck statement?

No, there are no exceptions to the Kelvin-Planck statement. It has been experimentally verified and has never been observed to be violated.