Is this an acceptable route to take for solving this integral involving roots:

In summary, the given integral can be solved using u-substitution and partial fractions. The correct set up for partial fractions is to use different values of u to solve for the coefficients A and B. After solving for A and B, they should be plugged in with the correct signs into the integral, and the resulting integral can be solved using the natural logarithm function.
LearninDaMath
[itex]\int\frac{2}{(x+3)\sqrt{x+10}}dx[/itex]

let [itex]u=\sqrt{x+10}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{du}{dx}=\frac{1}{2}(x+10)^{\frac{1}{2}-\frac{2}{2}}(x+10)'[/itex]

[itex]du=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{x+10}}dx[/itex] → [itex]dx=2\sqrt{x+10}du[/itex]

Then replace those substitutions into the integral and simplify what I can:

[itex]\int\frac{(2)(2)\sqrt{x+10}du}{(x+3)\sqrt{x+10}}[/itex] → [itex]4\int\frac{du}{(x+3)}[/itex]

Then realize I still have an x term and figure out a way to arrange the previous substitutions to eliminate the remaining x term

[itex][u^{2}-10=x][/itex] → [itex][u^{2}-10+3=x+3][/itex] → [itex][u^{2}-7=x+3][/itex]

[itex]4\int\frac{1}{u^{2}-7}du[/itex] ...And then partial fractions from here

Is this a correct track so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good.

Cool, thanks, so in proceeding into partial fractions, I am a little hesitant in how to set it up. I have two ways in mind.

4[itex]\int\frac{1}{u^{2}-7}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{Au+B}{u^{2}-7}[/itex]

[1 = Au + B], ? Maybe B = 1, but then what does A equal? Would A=0?

Setting up like this doesn't feel right, but I'm not exactly sure why.
Reason1: I think the goal of partial fractions is to turn 1 fraction into more than one fraction.
Reason2: Setting the numerators equal to each other in this configuration does not allow for solving for u.

4[itex]\int\frac{1}{u^{2}-7}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{A}{u+\sqrt{7}}+\frac{B}{u-\sqrt{7}}[/itex]

Which becomes: [itex]1=A(u-\sqrt{7})+B(u+\sqrt{7})[/itex] → 1 = u(A+B) + ([itex]\sqrt{7}-\sqrt{7}[/itex] →

1 = u(A+B) ...which doesn't seem like something that can be solved for A or B.
___________________________________________Which of these methods would be correct or incorrect?

Last edited:
The second method you used is correct: partial fractions is used to split a rational function, one that cannot be simplified by dividing, up into simpler rational functions with only linear or unfactorable quadratic terms in the denominators. These terms are the factors of the original denominator.
To solve your equation for A and B separately, you must realize you actually have a system of an infinite amount of equations. Since all you did was break the fraction into additive components, the equation must be true for every value of u. Simply choose a value of u that removes all of the variables but one. For example, you can choose the particular case when [itex]u = \sqrt{7}[/itex], which allows you to solve for the value of B. You can use another value of u to find an equation where B is not present and solve for the value of A.

[tex]
A(u - \sqrt 7) + B(u + \sqrt 7) = (A + B)u + (B - A)\sqrt 7 = 1
[/tex] thus [tex]
A + B = 0
\\ (B - A)\sqrt 7 = 1
[/tex]

Thanks, from there, I have tried to work it out, however it just doesn't feel correct for some reason. These are all the steps I made, is it correct?[itex]4\int\frac{1}{u^{2}-7}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{A}{u+\sqrt{7}}+\frac{B}{u-\sqrt{7}}[/itex][tex]
A(u - \sqrt 7) + B(u + \sqrt 7) = (A + B)u + (B - A)\sqrt 7 = 1
[/tex] thus [tex]
A + B = 0
\\ (B - A)\sqrt 7 = 1
[/tex]

[tex] [A + B = 0]
\\ \sqrt 7B - \sqrt 7A = 1
[/tex]

[tex] [\sqrt7B + \sqrt 7A = 0]
\\ \sqrt 7B - \sqrt 7A = 1[/tex] (subtracting to solve for B)

[itex]2\sqrt{7}A=-1[/itex] → [itex]A=-\frac{1}{2\sqrt{7}}[/itex]

Subbing A into [itex][A + B = 0] → B = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{7}}[/itex]

So,

[itex]4\int\frac{1}{u^{2}-7}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{A}{u+\sqrt{7}}+\frac{B}{u-\sqrt{7}}[/itex] becomes[itex]4\int\frac{1}{u^{2}-7}= \int\frac{\frac{1}{2\sqrt7}}{u+\sqrt{7}}+\int\frac{-\frac{1}{2\sqrt7}}{u-\sqrt{7}}[/itex][itex]4\int\frac{1}{u^{2}-7}= \frac{1}{2\sqrt7}\int\frac{1}{u+\sqrt{7}}-\frac{1}{2\sqrt7}\int\frac{1}{u-\sqrt{7}}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{2\sqrt7}ln|u+\sqrt{7}|-\frac{1}{2\sqrt7}ln|u+\sqrt{7}|+C[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{2\sqrt7}ln|\sqrt{x+10}+\sqrt{7}|-\frac{1}{2\sqrt7}ln|\sqrt{x+10}+\sqrt{7}|+C[/itex]

You computed A and B correctly, but when you plugged them into the integral you swapped their signs for some reason. Apart from this (and the subsequent error) everything seems OK.

Related to Is this an acceptable route to take for solving this integral involving roots:

1. What is the best approach for solving integrals involving roots?

The best approach for solving integrals involving roots depends on the specific integral and the level of complexity. However, a common approach is to use substitution or integration by parts to simplify the integral and then use algebraic manipulation to get rid of the roots.

2. Can I use the power rule for integrating roots?

No, the power rule only applies to polynomials with integer exponents. When integrating roots, other methods such as substitution or integration by parts must be used.

3. Are there any special techniques for solving integrals with radical expressions?

Yes, there are a few techniques that can be helpful when solving integrals with radical expressions. These include using trigonometric substitutions, partial fractions, and the binomial theorem.

4. How do I know if I have solved an integral with roots correctly?

You can check your solution by differentiating it and seeing if it matches the original integrand. If it does, then your solution is correct.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals with roots?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid include using the power rule, forgetting to apply the chain rule when using substitution, and not simplifying the integral before attempting to solve it.