Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this combustion of steam?

1. Apr 20, 2016 #1
    Once upon a time I managed (unintentionally) to use a primitive centrifuge to spin a jet of steam. The spinning steam jet separated (or more likely partially separated) into hydrogen and oxygen components. A blue flame appeared at the confluence of gasses. I do believe that steam had partial combustion.
    Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2016 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure what you saw, but you can't separate hydrogen and oxygen from water with a centrifuge.

4. Apr 21, 2016 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Is there anything that can burn in steam? From what I remember thermal decomposition of water requires temperatures well above the typical temperature of steam used in industrial settings.

5. Apr 21, 2016 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not exactly burn but steam coming into contact with red hot coke produces the dangerous ' water gas ' .

Accidental or out of control production of water gas in malfunctioning equipment in industry caused several serious incidents in Victorian times .

Coke can be formed when many carbon based materials are overheated .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted