Is this experiment real (double slit)?

In summary, the conversation discusses a double slit experiment with a detector and an unobserved black box and photo film. The film reveals the interference pattern if the box is destroyed first, but shows a two-clump pattern if the box is opened first. The experiment is more about choosing the right measurement rather than choosing whether or not to look, and the idea that we have to look at the results to make them real is a myth that has been debunked by modern quantum theories.
alikim
I heard about the following experiment and I'd like to know if it really works this way:

Double slit experiment with a detector that gathers information about which slit every particle goes through and stores it in an unobserved black box. The screen is an unobserved photo film that needs to be developed later to reveal where particles hit it.

After the experiment is done and particles have hit the screen wherever they did, the experimental set is disassembled and the black box and the film is taken out.

Before developing the film, there are two choices: either to open the black box and see the info about particles paths in side or destroy the box.

In you look in the box then you always get two-clump pattern developed on the film, if you destroy the box first then the film will always show the interference pattern.

In case this is true, I also would like to know what it means to observe the contents of the box: is it enough to just open it or do you need to read the information?

Also, what happens if I read the info in the box but I have a bad memory and I later forget what I've read?

Thank you,

Physics news on Phys.org
alikim said:
I heard about the following experiment and I'd like to know if it really works this way:

Double slit experiment with a detector that gathers information about which slit every particle goes through and stores it in an unobserved black box. The screen is an unobserved photo film that needs to be developed later to reveal where particles hit it.

After the experiment is done and particles have hit the screen wherever they did, the experimental set is disassembled and the black box and the film is taken out.

Before developing the film, there are two choices: either to open the black box and see the info about particles paths in side or destroy the box.

In you look in the box then you always get two-clump pattern developed on the film, if you destroy the box first then the film will always show the interference pattern.

Answer is no.

You have the details of the experiment wrong, but it's clear that you're talking about a delayed choice eraser experiment.

Here's the main differences between the real experiment and your explanation:

1. You're not deciding whether or not to look, you're deciding how to measure something. You can measure it along the X axis, or along the Z axis.

2. The data doesn't magically change based on the measurement you choose. You use the measurement result to split the data. Your choice just affects what the splits end up looking like. Measure one way, and the splits are two complementary interference patterns. Measure it the other way, they're boring lumps.

3. The which-way information does get copied and stored until later, but it's not on a piece of paper hidden inside of a box. It's in an entangled qubit. This is important to making the "choice of measurement" thing possible.

delayed-erasure-updated-png.103371.png

Overall the experiment is a lot more like choosing whether or not to measure the right thing that reveals the information you want. If you don't measure the right thing, you don't find out anything interesting. If you do measure the right thing, you find out something interesting. The only "weird quantum" part is basically that measuring the wrong thing fundamentally prevents you from later measuring the right thing.

Last edited:
alikim said:

In case this is true...
It's not. Any interaction by the photons with anything macroscopic counts as an observation; this includes the interaction with the detectors so there will be no interference pattern if the detectors are actually detecting. Whether we look at the detection results or not is irrelevant - the pattern on the film is what it is as soon as the photons have landed on it.

The idea that we have to look at the results to make them real dates back to the earliest days of quantum mechanics, and was abandoned with the discovery of quantum decoherence. Unfortunately by then it had made it into the popular imagination, so it's one of those things that "every knows" that just isn't so. A good layman-friendly modern treatment is David Lindley's book "Where does the weirdness go?".

1. Is the double slit experiment real?

Yes, the double slit experiment is a real and well-documented scientific phenomenon.

2. How does the double slit experiment work?

The double slit experiment involves sending particles, such as photons or electrons, through a barrier with two small slits. The particles then create an interference pattern on a screen behind the barrier, indicating their wave-like behavior.

3. What is the significance of the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is significant because it demonstrates the wave-particle duality of matter. It also challenges our understanding of the fundamental nature of reality and has led to advancements in fields such as quantum mechanics and particle physics.

4. Can the results of the double slit experiment be explained by classical physics?

No, the results of the double slit experiment cannot be fully explained by classical physics. The interference pattern seen in the experiment can only be explained by the wave-like behavior of particles, which is a concept introduced in quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any variations of the double slit experiment?

Yes, there are many variations of the double slit experiment, such as using different types of particles, changing the distance between the slits and the screen, and introducing different factors that can affect the results. These variations help scientists further understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level.