Is this interpretation on Hubble's Law/Constant right ?

In Summary, The Hubbles Constant 'H0' is anywhere between 72 to 78 kms per second per megaparsec. My doubts are:1) Let us consider a rod (made of streatchable light weight material) of length amounting to one megaparsec be placed in empty space. Neglecting the effects of gravity, If the recessional velocity is contributed by the very expansion of space time, Should the end points recede away by 75 kms per second? (and hence make the rod grow 75 kms every second?)2) If the rod is elastic, will the space expansion stretch the rod ?. (can that stress be harnessed ?)
srikkanth_kn
Is this interpretation on "Hubble's Law/Constant" right ?

I referred to this page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble's_law

The hubbles constant 'H0' is anywhere between 72 to 78 kms per second per megaparsec.
My doubts :-

1) Let us consider a rod (made of streatchable light weight material) of length amounting to one megaparsec be placed in empty space. Neglecting the effects of gravity, If the recessional velocity is contributed by the very expansion of space time, Should the end points recede away by 75 kms per second? (and hence make the rod grow 75 kms every second?)

2) If the rod is elastic, will the space expansion stretch the rod ?. (can that stress be harnessed ?)

Astronomy news on Phys.org

I didn't read the wiki page, it is possibe that there are poor explanations within it, I'm not sure, but let me address your two points independant of whatever that article states.

1) Let us consider a rod (made of streatchable light weight material) of length amounting to one megaparsec be placed in empty space. Neglecting the effects of gravity, If the recessional velocity is contributed by the very expansion of space time, Should the end points recede away by 75 kms per second? (and hence make the rod grow 75 kms every second?)

It is a verrrrry common misconception that the 'expansion of space' (or spacetime) causes galaxies to receed. In fact 'the expansion of space' does not appear anywhere in the technical description of cosmology, and is nothing more than a metaphor used to simplify the understand of aspects of an expanding Universe.

Galaxies receed because something (inflation) caused everything in the Universe to start moving away from everything else. If you think about any two galaxies, at any point they are moving apart, therefore from either Newtons first law (inertia) or the General Relativistic extension, they will continue to do so unless otherwise acted up. Gravity provides such an action, and acts to slow down the rate of expansion. Due to some unexpected observations, we also suspect that dark energy is also present, and it acts in such as way as to speed up the expansion. At present dark energy appears to be dominate, such that the overall expansion rate is increasing. In any case, 'expanding space' simply describes the expanding universe, it is not something that causes it. If the Universe had a diffferent set of initial conditions then we would possibly not see a Hubble flow and not use the term 'expanding space', it would not be because of different physics operating, just different initial conditions.

This is only true on large scales though. On the scale of say a galaxy, the average density is much higher and hence gravity is much stronger than dark energy. There is not however a balance between gravity and 'the expansion of space' on the scale of a galaxy. If you look at a galaxy, it is not expanding, hence by Newtons first law (inertia) there is not reason for it to start doing so. Their does not exist any special 'new' force called the expansion of space that is continually trying to rip galaxies apart.

So, to more directly answer your questions, the rod will sit there and do nothing. It will not expand and you will not see any recession velocity along the rod. The rod will not stretch.

Last edited:

Wallace said:
I didn't read the wiki page, it is possibe that there are poor explanations within it, I'm not sure, but let me address your two points independant of whatever that article states.

It is a verrrrry common misconception that the 'expansion of space' (or spacetime) causes galaxies to receed. ......

So, to more directly answer your questions, the rod will sit there and do nothing. It will not expand and you will not see any recession velocity along the rod. The rod will not stretch.

Thanks For The Advise.

1. What is Hubble's Law/Constant and why is it important?

Hubble's Law/Constant is a fundamental principle in astronomy that describes the relationship between the distance of galaxies and their velocity. It states that the farther a galaxy is from us, the faster it is moving away from us. This law is important because it provides evidence for the expansion of the universe.

2. How did Edwin Hubble discover the law?

Edwin Hubble, an American astronomer, discovered the law in the 1920s by observing and measuring the redshift of galaxies. He found that the farther a galaxy is from us, the more its light is shifted towards the red end of the light spectrum, indicating that it is moving away from us at a higher speed.

3. Is Hubble's Law/Constant constant?

Yes, Hubble's Law/Constant is considered to be a constant value. The current accepted value for the Hubble constant is 70.4 kilometers per second per megaparsec. However, there have been debates and revisions to this value over the years as new data and observations are made.

4. What is the significance of recent controversies surrounding Hubble's Law/Constant?

Recent controversies surrounding Hubble's Law/Constant have raised questions about the accuracy of the value and the methods used to measure it. Some scientists have proposed alternative theories, such as the existence of dark energy, to explain the discrepancies in data. These debates continue to shape our understanding of the universe and its expansion.

5. Can Hubble's Law/Constant be used to measure the age of the universe?

Yes, Hubble's Law/Constant is used in conjunction with other cosmological measurements to estimate the age of the universe. By measuring the distance and velocity of galaxies, scientists can calculate the expansion rate of the universe and use it to determine the age of the universe. However, this method is not without uncertainties and assumptions, so the estimated age may change as we gather more data and refine our understanding of the universe.